Inspiron CMOS battery

My Inspiron 4000 does not keep time anymore, so everytime I boot it up I
must enter the BIOS and reset it. So, I called Dell to order a replacement
"Reserve Battery" for $9. Cheapest place that I could find this battery,
even with the $8 shipping.

Ok, I went home and opened the bottom of the laptop to see where the battery
was located. According to the Dell site, it should be right there by the
memory modules, sitting on a little silver tray. But... there currently
isn't a battery there, and I never recalled seeing it there before.

So what gives? Is this a fix to a dead battery mounted somewhere on the
mainboard? Don't really care if it is, but what concerns me is if there is
suppose to be a battery there, where is it? The computer has always worked
fine, keeping perfect time.

--
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

follow these instructions and you should see it the old one is (aka where
the new one goes)...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ph2o/remove.htm#999641

"Charles B. Summers" <cbsummers@bellsouth.not> wrote in message
> My Inspiron 4000 does not keep time anymore, so everytime I boot it up I
> must enter the BIOS and reset it. So, I called Dell to order a replacement
> "Reserve Battery" for $9. Cheapest place that I could find this battery,
> even with the $8 shipping.
>
> Ok, I went home and opened the bottom of the laptop to see where the
> battery
> was located. According to the Dell site, it should be right there by the
> memory modules, sitting on a little silver tray. But... there currently
> isn't a battery there, and I never recalled seeing it there before.
>
> So what gives? Is this a fix to a dead battery mounted somewhere on the
> mainboard? Don't really care if it is, but what concerns me is if there is
> suppose to be a battery there, where is it? The computer has always worked
> fine, keeping perfect time.
>
> --
> www.secretweaponlures.com
> www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Thanks, but I've already found that... my problem is that there isn't one
there at all. The little silver tray is there, as is the connector. The
battery or wires aren't.