Question Instability on fresh build

camerondbass

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
I've put together a ryzen pc with all fresh parts (except storage hdd) and it either freezes and stays on randomly (no blue screen or errors just a blank display) or it won't post (all fans spin but the gpu fan).

Data overlays don't indicate any over heating.

When it boots it performs up to standard (forza 4 on ultra)

My current theories are dram settings or a dud gpu (but how does it boot up and perform at 100% for hours??)

The gpu is a brand new msi 5700xt mech oc.
Ram is corsair vengeance lpx 2x16gb 3200mhz c16
Cpu is ryzen 7 2700
Boot drive is Kingston a2000 nvme 256gb
Psu is an antec vp 700w brand new
Motherboard is an asus b450 plus

All firmware is up to date.

TIA

I've put together a ryzen pc with all fresh parts (except storage hdd) and it either freezes and stays on randomly (no blue screen or errors just a blank display) or it won't post (all fans spin but the gpu fan).

Data overlays don't indicate any over heating.

When it boots it performs up to standard (forza 4 on ultra)

My current theories are dram settings or a dud gpu (but how does it boot up and perform at 100% for hours??)

The gpu is a brand new msi 5700xt mech oc.
Ram is corsair vengeance lpx 2x16gb 3200mhz c16
Cpu is ryzen 7 2700
Boot drive is Kingston a2000 nvme 256gb
Psu is an antec vp 700w brand new
Motherboard is an asus b450 plus

All firmware is up to date.

TIA
this step by step in order, for better optimized performance (and avoid any issues after upgrade):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios again (beta bios is fine). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: camerondbass

camerondbass

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Thank you for the reply. After uninstalling the cpu in device manager and updating the chipset driver it worked flawlessly for 24hrs straight, I was convinced it was fixed.

After shutting down and rebooting after a night, it's run for 5 minutes before freezing again.

camerondbass

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
BIOS fully up to date?

What exact part number and version number?
DRAM_label.jpg

It's in the 'AVOID' Tier. Return it and get a decent PSU with LLC topology.
BIOS is up to date

RAM is CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
it's a 2x 16gb kit timings are 16-18-18-36 at 1.35v. Ver 4.32. Lot code is 200501990684840

PSU was bought brand new to eliminate the possibility. The replaced PSU was functional.

The build currently works in patches, I can use it under heavy load for hours when it decides to boot up. Other times we're back to square one where it doesn't boot at all.

DSzymborski

Titan
BIOS is up to date

RAM is CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
it's a 2x 16gb kit timings are 16-18-18-36 at 1.35v. Ver 4.32. Lot code is 200501990684840

PSU was bought brand new to eliminate the possibility. The replaced PSU was functional.

The build currently works in patches, I can use it under heavy load for hours when it decides to boot up. Other times we're back to square one where it doesn't boot at all.

And what was this PSU? The first one was very low quality and unsuited to these components. What's the new one? Hopefully the Antec isn't the new one and the old was even worse.

camerondbass

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
And what was this PSU? The first one was very low quality and unsuited to these components. What's the new one? Hopefully the Antec isn't the new one and the old was even worse.
The antec was the new one, I can't remember the model of the old one, I do remember it was a 750w though.

The situation overall is an improvement since I updated the chipset drivers and uninstalled the cpu drivers so I think the solution may lay there.

The antec was the new one, I can't remember the model of the old one, I do remember it was a 750w though.

The situation overall is an improvement since I updated the chipset drivers and uninstalled the cpu drivers so I think the solution may lay there.
did you do all the suggestion step by steps, or just uninstalling the cpu and updating the chipset driver? you do install the latest one from amd right?

TRENDING THREADS