[SOLVED] Install a single mirror drive in new system (won't boot)

Dec 9, 2019
So I've just built my new pc, and I want to install a previously mirrored drive in it. When I do install it however, it won't boot. It just keeps going to the bios "press f2 or delete" screen and then reboots repeatedly.

Does anybody know how I can fix that? Thank you!

Solution
Ah, ok. There's no reason it should stop a system from booting. Perhaps your boot priority list sees the HDD first, which is not bootable? Worth ensuring your main drive is set to priority #1.

As far as breaking the mirror, configured via diskmgmt, it should be as simple as right clicking the volume in diskmgmt and selecting "remove mirror".... but I believe you'll lost your data stored in that volume.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What system are you coming from/to?

Hardware of Software RAID? While at a hardware level, you should have mirrored everything (including boot partitions etc), software RAID, you likely haven't.

Why are you trying to boot from a previously mirrored drive, opposed to clean installing on new hardware?

Dec 9, 2019
It is not a boot drive. It's a data drive. It's just a simple software mirror done through windows disk manager. I have now hot-plugged the device into my computer and it shows up and reads data. I haven't dared to reboot yet. The data is fine, but it now it displays an error about how it can't mirror. Would you perhaps know a way to turn the drive into a normal drive again?

Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ah, ok. There's no reason it should stop a system from booting. Perhaps your boot priority list sees the HDD first, which is not bootable? Worth ensuring your main drive is set to priority #1.

As far as breaking the mirror, configured via diskmgmt, it should be as simple as right clicking the volume in diskmgmt and selecting "remove mirror".... but I believe you'll lost your data stored in that volume.

Solution
Dec 9, 2019
I don't think it would be boot priority since then I should be able to go into bios. It was probably a recurring error regarding the non existent second mirror drive. I can see the remove mirror option, but I'm scared of what it will do with the data.
Thanks for the help though

Dec 9, 2019
So I've just gone ahead and clicked remove mirror. (I have the other drive at home so the data is safe).

It is now a normal simple volume with all my data still intact.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, I'd misread that you were forced into the BIOS and then a reboot - not that selecting Del or F2 rebooted the system . Sorry about that.

Ok, glad your data remained. That used to be the case pre-Windows 10... but I thought (wrongly, apparently) that something had changed with W10 and you'd lose data.

Apparently I'm 0/3 in this thread now 😂 So I'm glad you got it figured out.