Question Install hdd with os in pc

May 4, 2019
Can I install a HDD from a pc with win 10 and other files in another pc? Will it work? Will files be lost? Windows is not activated nor was it bought with a key

USAFRet

Titan
Can I install a HDD from a pc with win 10 and other files in another pc? Will it work? Will files be lost? Windows is not activated nor was it bought with a key
Asked here a dozen times a day.

Moving a drive with its included OS install has 3 basic outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've seen all 3.

Of course, you've not given us any info about the old and new parts.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can you install : yes
Will it work : unknown
Will I lose files : no

Bios on new mobo will recognise the drive. It'll also recognise that it's a boot drive and act accordingly. The issues are not with the drive itself, but in windows. All the drivers, motherboard addresses and every other scrap of info about the old system is contained on that drive. It's especially bad moving from Dell, Lenovo, Acer or any other pre-built mobo since they use proprietary stuff that's not on the new mobo. So the drive is looking for the renasus Sata controller, and it's not there. Or the ASmedia controller and it's not there. So uses windows generic drivers instead. But the motherboard wants to use the Marvell and it's not finding the right drivers either. So you start getting massive driver conflicts which slows everything down even to the point of bluescreens and critical system failures or errors.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, most times it never works as it should.