Question Install new PSU (And GPU) in Optiplex 9020 mini tower

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Hi,

So Im having a Dell Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower. i7 4790, 32gb ram, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD. I have installed a GTX 1050TI now, but thinking about to upgrade to something like GTX 1660 SUPER or some other card. The PSU in the system now are only 290W.

If I want to change the PSU, I saw that I need to buy an 8pin-to-24-pin-adapter. Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-8-Pin-Supply-Adapter-Motherboards/dp/B01A210HKO

or this one from AliExpress which is way cheaper:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_52

Is that all I need? Will any PSU work from there? The motherboard Dell is called 06X1TJ.

Picture from inside chassi:
6W9xqKQ.jpg

Is there any specific size I need to look at if buying a new PSU for this chassi? If so, can anyone give me some tips.
Im guessing a 500W or 600W will be enough.

And also, is it worth upgrading this PC with a new graphic card? Or am I better just opening my wallet to buy all new?

Last edited:
Thanks, so no card is to big in depth either? Im guessing that longer cards may cause trouble to the front panel cord and the speaker cord.
Those cables will be routed below the GPU.

I did move the SSD SATA cable from SATA 0 to SATA 2 instead. Dont know if that will make something worse?
All those SATA ports operate at the same speed.

I dont know what that black cable does (above the little round internal speaker). Is that only for protection against static electricity or something?

That cable is a thermal-sensor connected system board.

Reactions: Akerhage

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Full modular , NOT a good PSU.

dammit! To late now for that, already shipped. (hope it works for me?)

I´m wondering, is it possible to add another fan maybe in the chassi? If so, where would I put it (which direction)? Maybe its possible to screw one one the 9020-chassi front side? Any ideas/tips?

Im a bit worried that the temps can be pretty high maybe with only one fan right now?

Last edited:

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Is it possible to return it for a refund if you don't open it?

Hmm maybe possible, so this PSU is so bad that its not even recommended to use?
For me as a user of this PSU, what will I notice that is worse then say the Corsair models?

Edit, is this better?
Corsair CX550M / 550W / 80+ Bronze

Last edited:
dammit! To late now for that, already shipped. (hope it works for me?)

I´m wondering, is it possible to add another fan maybe in the chassi? If so, where would I put it (which direction)? Maybe its possible to screw one one the 9020-chassi front side? Any ideas/tips?

Im a bit worried that the temps can be pretty high maybe with only one fan right now?
That PSU (CM MWE Gold 550 ) is not the best, but is fine for you system.
If you were planning on OCing, or have more exotics power requirements, I would have recommended something else also.
I have installed a couple of them and no issues so far.
The newer models are better that old units.

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
It's not great, but it's definitely better.

Are you buying from an online vendor? If so, what's the site?

Yes its online swedish sites. I really dont want to spend more then 80USD on the PSU (because the GPU where more expensive then I had in mind). But also, I do want a reliable PSU of course.

The order is from www.netonnet.se

Also, I did made a return ticket for that PSU and made an order on www.webhallen.se (I can take the bike there tomorrow).

So if finding any better for that budget, feel free to help me. :)

I did notice that the GPU wasnt even shipped today, so maybe I can go to netonnet store tomorrow also, they seems to have better prices on GPU there compared to Webhallen.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The prices on netonnet seemed a bit higher than webhallen.

At webhallen:
I know the TX550M is over your budget (judging by 80USD is about 770kr), but it's a much more reliable, higher quality unit than the CX550M. You could use the CX550M just fine, it's adequate, and definitely better than the CoolerMaster, but if you can squeeze out the higher amount of money for the TX model, it would make me more comfortable.

According to the Sweden PCPartpicker, that TX550M can be had for 859kr from cdon.co, but I know nothing whatsoever about that site.

https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

EDIT: In the US, the warranty for the CX (2017 model) is 5 years, and the warranty for the TX is 7 years.

I cannot find a reference to see if the CX550M is the 2017-up model, which is considered better than the older ones.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
This PSU-hunt is insane. Just got mail from Cdon saying the TX was out of stock too.

So just came home now, bought a EVGA GQ 1000W here. Got a good price at 90 USD for it.

One question, I´m guessing the answer is NO, but want to ask anyway.

This PSU has two CPU 8PIN-cables that I can connect to the PSU. Im guessing I can´t put one 8PIN in the CPU-slot and one 8PIN directly to the Motherboard and NOT using the 8PIN-24PIN-adapter? The Pins look the same.

This PSU-hunt is insane. Just got mail from Cdon saying the TX was out of stock too.

So just came home now, bought a EVGA GQ 1000W here. Got a good price at 90 USD for it.

One question, I´m guessing the answer is NO, but want to ask anyway.

This PSU has two CPU 8PIN-cables that I can connect to the PSU. Im guessing I can´t put one 8PIN in the CPU-slot and one 8PIN directly to the Motherboard and NOT using the 8PIN-24PIN-adapter? The Pins look the same.
Nope, you cannot do that, those are 8-pin CPU power connectors.
You could damage the motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM or any component connected to the motherboard.
Dell uses a proprietary 8-pin ATX power connector, instead of the standard 24-pin ATX power connector.
That's why you need the adapter.

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Its working! I have now plugged the PSU in. It was a bit of a struggle to be hones.
The side lid to the chassi could not be closed now. Because its a handle there with a sprint going into the PSU. So I had to remove that handle. Then use tape to be able to close the lid. Also now, instead of the handle, there is a big hole. Maybe I can put something there to get rid of dust entering inside the chassi.

o7A04HD.jpg

Also this "slide thing" was not able to fit over the PSU, that slide thing where to the lid of the chassi.
So I will just use some tape to close that one. The computer is hidden anyway :)
XTswjCD.jpg

Tomorrow its time for GPU!

One question. The SATA (SSD, HDD) gets its power from the motherboard. The fans also. So the PSU is now only connecting to the 24PIN-adapter and the CPU. Is it same result to connect it like this rather then to connect the SATA directly from the PSU? And the fans to?

Last edited:

Akerhage

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Yes you could use the SATA power cables from the PSU.

For me it works better I think having them like I have now, from the motherboard. So if that option is as good as having the cables from the PSU, I will stick to that. One other thing, the CPU-connector in the motherboard was only 4 Pins, not 8. Next build I hope I have a normal motherboard. :)

For me it works better I think having them like I have now, from the motherboard.
So if that option is as good as having the cables from the PSU, I will stick to that.
I had tried both and did not notice a difference. It's good to have choices.

One other thing, the CPU-connector in the motherboard was only 4 Pins, not 8. Next build I hope I have a normal motherboard. :)
It's normal (standard) for a motherboard to have a 4-pin CPU connector. Specially mid to low end motherboards geared to CPUs (i5 8400 or lower) that do not require much wattage. Your i7-4790 CPU is a clear example of a CPU that could work just fine on a motherboard with a 4-pin CPU connector.

What's not standard about that Dell motherboard is the 8-pin ATX connector (it should be 24-pin ATX) and the size of the motherboard.

Now there are motherboards with 8-pin connectors, dual 4-pin + 8-pin CPU connectors or even dual 8-pin + 8-pin CPU connectors.
8-pin CPU connectors could deliver 288W (double of the 4-pin), which is enough to power CPUs like Intel Intel i7 8700k or AMD Ryzen 2700x.
With i7-9700k or i9-9900k you might want to have some headroom, going with 4-pin + 8-pin CPU connectors or 8-pin + 8-pin CPU connectors, specially if overclocking.

By the way, you could place a dust filter on the side panel, to cover the opening and prevent dust and insects from entering the case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4WWX4W

Reactions: Akerhage

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019