Install W7 64 bit on vostro 420

buffalo22

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I'm looking for some input on installing W7 64 bit on a Dell Vostro 420. All goes well until it is near completion and then the screen goes black after a reboot and only shows the mouse cursor. Have read numerous posts about how well the 420 performs after installing W7 but no help on how to do it or what causes the black screen. The configuration is as follows: Core2 Quad, 8200 / 2.33GHz 4M, 1333FSB; 4GB 800MHz DDR2 ram; 256 ATI Radeon HD 3650. It was running XP Pro SP3, now nothing :-(
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bill

Solution
Yes, the computer should be able to handle W7 just fine. Are you trying to install on a separate partition or did you just wipe out XP? Try unplugging everything (USB devices, etc...) and do a start up repair. If that isn't an option try and do a fresh install.
Yes, the computer should be able to handle W7 just fine. Are you trying to install on a separate partition or did you just wipe out XP? Try unplugging everything (USB devices, etc...) and do a start up repair. If that isn't an option try and do a fresh install.

Solution

buffalo22

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Clean drive, wiped everything. Windows created a 100 MB partition. I removed all connections except the monitor and the USB keyboard. If need be I can get a PS2 keyboard. The repair failed so I am doing another clean install. Keep you posted. Thanks for the quick reply.