Install win 7 on new HD

Jim Dee

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Computer came with win 7 installed, but no win 7 disk. Do have win 7 emergency boot disk. Can I use the emergency disk to install win 7 or do I need to buy an full version of the OS?

Solution
Most computers give you an option to create a system restore disk (either on DVD or a flash drive). Follow the instructions for your machine to create that and you are good to go. If that is not possible, then contact the manufacturer of your machine and inquire about ordering a set of disks. Most name brands will sell you the disks for a nominal fee. If none of that is possible, then your best option is to buy a new copy of Windows, but make sure the version you buy comes with a disk.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Most computers give you an option to create a system restore disk (either on DVD or a flash drive). Follow the instructions for your machine to create that and you are good to go. If that is not possible, then contact the manufacturer of your machine and inquire about ordering a set of disks. Most name brands will sell you the disks for a nominal fee. If none of that is possible, then your best option is to buy a new copy of Windows, but make sure the version you buy comes with a disk.

Solution

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just so you know you can download any Win7 install ISO (good source, just scroll down and select which English version you need or even any other language you need: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links )and if you open it with something like PowerISO you can change one of the files so that when you run the install (either from DVD or USB Pendrive) you get the choice of what version to install. This saves you trying to download an ISO for each version yo might want, but remember, you need to have a valid serial for the correct version you are trying to install.

Here is a guide
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2044281/install-any-version-of-windows-using-any-windows-disc-you-can-find.html

Jim Dee

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Jim Dee

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks for your quick reply! I created a "Win 7 repair disk" (DVD) as advised by the software when I first booted up the computer. So are you saying that's all I need to install it on the new HD?

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Usually the repair disk will only do disk repairs, not a full reinstall. Most computers now have the software to do a full install in a special partition on the hard drive, with some option in Windows to create a system restore disk in case your drive fails. Look in your Start menu for a folder with the name of your computer (Dell, for example) for the utility software to create the disks. You might also be able to call the manufacturer to ask about creating the disks, or do an internet search on the same topic. Most computers prompt you to create the disks when you first get the machine, but, of course, most people ignore the suggestion. The software to create the disks should still be there if you can find it.

Jim Dee

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Jim Dee

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks again! I looked at the content of the "repair disk" on another computer and it only has 168MB of data, so not likely useful for installing the full OS. This is a Dell Inspiron desk top, about 4 years old and it won't boot. It starts to boot up but stops with only the option to select F2 (boot options) or F12 (don't remember what that's called). Under F12 I ran diagnostics and got Error Code 2000-0141 -- "Hard drive - no drive detected". I tried reseating the drive, but no change. So, I can't access anything on the drive. Best I can determine, I need a new HD. I plan to install one and try to get the OS from Dell.