Install Windows 10 on SSD?

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016
I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 evo 250gb. Now i really would like to transfer my OS to the SSD, but i cant do this though Samsung migration software because my HDD has 600+ gb of stuff on it. So i want to just buy windows 10 again (I can get it fairly cheap), and run the installer from USB and then install Windows 10 on the SSD. My questions are: Is this possible and how do I do this (video or good explenation). And i dont have an external HDD to back up my stuff so I would really like to do it without losing any data.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Chrome and Firefox allow you to login to them now. The advantage to having an account with both is they save all your favorites and passwords, meaning you can login to Chrome on any PC and have all your passwords/shortcuts available.

Just thought I would mention it. Enough advisors in here, I won't add to the confusion :)

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Yea, this was my idea. I just wanted to have someone confirm that its possible. But I will have to buy windows again because I got this PC from my dad (and upgraded it), and he had lost the windows key some time ago. When i buy windows 10 i will get a license key, so this is what I have to put in when i start from the USB to instal windows?

if your installation is legal, MS can identify your machine, you then just need to install win10 onto the SSD, with the HDD unplugged. No need to buy a new key. MS will recognise the hardware and know that this has a license.

If your installation is not legal, then buy a legal version, not a cheap illegal version, and install to the SSD.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If your Windows 10 is currently activated on the HDD, your hardware is on file with MS.

Disconnect the HDD, attached the SSD - run the installer from a USB (when prompted for a key, select "i don't have a key") and it'll re-activate when you're back online.

Reattach the HDD and use it as secondary storage.

Absolutely no need to buy a new Windows license (assuming its currently activated & genuine).

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Is this a desktop? If yes you can simply remove the HDD, then install Win10 on the SSD using Microsoft USB Installation http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

You can then add the HDD back to the PC after Win10 and all drivers have been installed. Your data will be accessible on the HDD even though your OS is installed on the SSD.

If this is a laptop you will need something to access the data on the HDD after you installed Win10 on the SSD. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Hot-Swap-External-Docking-Compatible/dp/B001A4HAFS

EDIT: Boy I am slow!

USAFRet

Titan

If your current Windows 10 is activated on this system, you do not need to purchase it again. You are just chaging drives. No problem.
$0 beats "fairly cheap"

Since this is a fresh install, you have to do a little personal prep.
Find all the drivers for your hardware. Save those on a USB stick
Find and document all your username/passwords. Email, etc.
Find and save all the application install files you want to install, along with any serial number if necessary.

To install:
Media Creation tool
Create your own USB install media.
Disconnect all other drives, and have only the SSD connected
Install
When it asks for the license key "I don't have one" is what you select.
Later, when it is online, it will activate.
Verify the SSD is first in the BIOS boot order

Install all the drivers for your hardware
Run all the current updates for the OS.

All your previous stuff
After all that, reconnect the HDD.
It still exists on the HDD, but you can't use the applications as they are. Those need to be installed with the new OS. Some on the SSD, maybe some on the HDD.
At some point, you want to wipe the HDD of all partitions on it, and use it as a secondary drive.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

So, just remove the SATA cable of the HDD?(im a bit noob :p). But how do I install the USB download tool, because I cant find it.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Does this mean that I have to reinstall everything?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Download the tool. Select 'create media for another PC', insert the USB, direct the tool towards it and wait.
Then attach the SSD (disconnect the HDD), insert the USB and boot. Use the 'boot override' functionality (usually F8, F11 or F2) and boot from the USB. Select the SSD as the install location.... and continue.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Ok, but I will need to install everything again that was on my HDD? Or not?

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Do they get deleted automatical or do I need to delete them after I migrated the OS?

USAFRet

Titan

No, they do NOT get deleted automatically. That would be a bad thing.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

But would a clean install not be better in that case. Because I will already lose most of my files?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You need to install *everything* back on your SSD - but some things can be installed to the HDD.
Your 'bulk' storage - music, videos, even save files etc should still be accessible & you can map to the folders containing them on the HDD.

You'd need to reinstall your applications/programs for them to run though. Steam, MS Office, Browsers (other than edge/IE), anti-virus etc.

You are performing a clean install.... just on the SSD. Without somewhere to back up your data from the HDD, you certainly don't want to be wiping that at the moment.

In future, you can certainly back up what you need from the HDD and format it.
If you could get ahold of a spare HDD, external HDD etc - you could backup your save files, bulk storage etc and format it now if you wanted.

USAFRet

Titan

That is what you are doing. A clean install on the SSD.
Your 'files' still exist on the HDD, that you have disconnected during the SSD install.

Also, you have to differentiate between 'files' and applications.
Files, like music/video...no problem
Applications like your favorite video editor...that needs to be reinstalled. The new OS on the SSD knows nothing about it.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Is it smart to do a backup though, and can I do this online. Like an online Backup.

Btw, everybody thank for your help!

USAFRet

Titan

It is ALWAYS smart to have a backup.
Determine exactly what and how much stuff you need to backup.
Doc/Music/Video...

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Okey, last few questions: will things like browser history or favorite sites be deleted, because these belong to an application but are not an application themself. And in a video someone said that windows will format automatically, but i heard that formatting is bad for an ssd?!

And in the video he was able to choose from 2 drives, so is it really neccesary to disconnect the HDD?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

If you clean install on the SSD, they won't be readily accessible, no. But unless you format the HDD in the meantime, the file save file (and history) will exist & can be recovered.

It would be smart to back them up initially if you cant afford to lose them.

You'd just need to google "back up X history/favorites" (where X represents the browser).

They'll be small files, and can be backed up & redownloaded using OneDrive, GoogleDrive or similar freely available application.

As for formatting - the Windows install will format the drive, yes.
Formatting is a necessary part of the install process. It's not exactly 'bad' for an SSD. Excessive formatting can be (additional write cycles), but the initial format is certainly not excessive.

USAFRet

Titan

You can generally export that to a file, and then import it with the new browser that you've installed.
Which browser are you using?

Firefox:
Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles

IE 11

Chrome

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, disconnect all but the SSD. Trust me on this.

Formatting is 'bad' for an SSD only if you do it twice a day, every day. For years.

yoyoran

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Should i just disconnect the SATA cable? Or also power?

Latest posts