[SOLVED] Install Windows 10 twice for dual booting ?

Solution
It's about making a copy of the Windows 10 installation media (USB, CD...), they didn't say you can install twice for dual boot.
That makes more sense.
Just read the license agreement. You didn't read it. It is not about installation media.

2. Installation and Use Rights.
e. Backup copy. You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes, and may also use that backup copy to transfer the software if it was acquired as stand-alone software, as described in Section 4 below.
Jun 20, 2021
When installing each version of Windows, make sure the drive Windows is going onto is the only drive connected during the install if you are wanting dual boot.

Not doing this will cause you a world of pain if ever one of the drives fails or is disconnected. Best way for multiple Windows operating systems to co-exist is if they don't 'know' about one another and you press an F key at startup to select which drive to boot from. Reason being, if more drives are connected, Windows will put a lot of important boot files on drives that aren't the main OS drive.

Jun 20, 2021
When installing each version of Windows, make sure the drive Windows is going onto is the only drive connected during the install if you are wanting dual boot.

Not doing this will cause you a world of pain if ever one of the drives fails or is disconnected. Best way for multiple Windows operating systems to co-exist is if they don't 'know' about one another and you press an F key at startup to select which drive to boot from. Reason being, if more drives are connected, Windows will put a lot of important boot files on drives that aren't the main OS drive.
So I am planning to install 2 windows 10. One will be on my SSD another will be on the hard drive will it work fine if I install it from a bootable drive at startup?

Jun 20, 2021
So I am planning to install 2 windows 10. One will be on my SSD another will be on the hard drive will it work fine if I install it from a bootable drive at startup?
So I did it. but I am getting the error 0xc00000e while selecting the 2nd os after restarting. I have installed it . tried with windows 8.1 too. but same error

Jun 20, 2021

So I did it. but I am getting the error 0xc00000e while selecting the 2nd os after restarting. I have installed it . tried with windows 8.1 too. but same error

Yes, an option pops up to select between os's when selecting the 2nd os I am getting that error. (I am still able to use the 1st os )

Then you did not follow the instructions I gave you. That would not be there if you'd have just had the one drive connected when installing and would select which drive to boot from.

You've been given the answer and if you're not prepared to try that or get someone who knows how to open the device so you can do that, I'm not going to have my time wasted any further by you.

Interestingly, we still do not know the reason for this dualboot thing.

I wasn't really bothered about the reason. I once knew some self employed people who wanted a 'work' system and a 'play' system of the same OS on the same PC, so it can be a thing. Obviously they needed two licences to do it but they weren't bothered about that, they understood the reason.

But I've given the answer, so I don't really want the OP picking my brains on fixing things that would not have arisen had they followed the advice.

I'm fairly sure you agree 100% with me that if you must dual boot, it's best done with both operating systems not 'knowing' about one another and by selecting the drive to boot from. So a bit of messing initially removing disks and only having the one you're installing to fitted, but far better in the long run as you don't run into things like this.

USAFRet

Titan
I wasn't really bothered about the reason. I once knew some self employed people who wanted a 'work' system and a 'play' system of the same OS on the same PC, so it can be a thing. Obviously they needed two licences to do it but they weren't bothered about that, they understood the reason.

But I've given the answer, so I don't really want the OP picking my brains on fixing things that would not have arisen had they followed the advice.

I'm fairly sure you agree 100% with me that if you must dual boot, it's best done with both operating systems not 'knowing' about one another and by selecting the drive to boot from. So a bit of messing initially removing disks and only having the one you're installing to fitted, but far better in the long run as you don't run into things like this.
Right.

But the reason I asked 'why', is because there might be (probably is) a better way to do whatever is desired.

"I want a second OS in case the first one dies"
Well, that does no good if they are on 2 partitions in the same physical drive.
Or 2 drives in the same laptop.

or any of a number of other things people think a dualboot is good for.

But since this second OS is already installed, and seemingly things are messed up, "fixing it" is going to be much harder.

But the reason I asked 'why', is because there might be (probably is) a better way to do whatever is desired.

"I want a second OS in case the first one dies"
Well, that does no good if they are on 2 partitions in the same physical drive.
Or 2 drives in the same laptop.

or any of a number of other things people think a dualboot is good for.

But since this second OS is already installed, and seemingly things are messed up, "fixing it" is going to be much harder.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. The OP did say though that they were wanting to install onto an SSD and a HDD, so in their case it potentially wasn't really applicable. But definitely applicable for someone searching for a correct answer on dual booting and finding this thread.

In terms of fixing what has gone on now, I'd refer the OP to the original advice I gave.

USAFRet

Titan
Probably for backup.
If one installation of windows goes bad/gets corrupted or something else,
then you still have the other installation and can instantly boot into it.
Right.
But then you have the problem of all the software and user files...

And if the drive that dies carries the boot partition for both installs...:(

As said, we don't yet know why.