Install Windows 10 using Recovery Drive?

Alex_73

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I have a new disk drive that is not yet partitioned or formatted. I also have a Recovery Drive that contains an instance of Windows 10. When I try to install the OS from the Recovery Drive, I run into the following:

-- "Reset this PC" fails with "Unable to reset your OS. A required drive partition is missing."

-- "Recover from a drive" fails with "Unable to recover your PC. The system is too small".

-- If a partition is manually created in Diskpart, "Reset this PC" fails with "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Question: how do I clean install Windows 10 from a Recovery Drive?

Solution
Hello again, @Alex!

As long as it's the same computer, you won't need to re-install manually all the hardware drivers. I'm afraid you won't be able to install the OS from the recovery disk, though. You can check your Recovery drive options in this MS article.
Basically the recovery disk contains the tools & additional information needed to 'RECOVER' your system using the information stored on the HDD. Since this is a brand new unformatted HDD, you basically don't have any system files/info on it.

Creating a bootable installation drive would have the software needed to install Windows 10.

If you mistakenly delete Windows or somehow corrupt the system. The recovery disk might be used to reinstall and/or...
Hey there, @Alex!

I'd recommend you consider simply creating a new bootable media referring to the MS instructions and simply clean install Windows from scratch. You should still be able to use the same activation code/product key as long as you are using the same computer. The operating system is usually tied to the motherboard, the hard drive is just a carrier for the system files. That said, you shouldn't face any issues with the activation either. Even if you, contact MS support for assistance!

Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Alex_73

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
SuperSoph_WD, thanks for answering. I appreciate your recommendation, and I agree that this is a solution. However, it is not the solution that I am looking for. A clean installation would require a fresh Windows together with manual installation of drivers. It is feasible, but less efficient. I was hoping that the recovery drive could be used. Is it possible at all?

Hello again, @Alex!

As long as it's the same computer, you won't need to re-install manually all the hardware drivers. I'm afraid you won't be able to install the OS from the recovery disk, though. You can check your Recovery drive options in this MS article.
Basically the recovery disk contains the tools & additional information needed to 'RECOVER' your system using the information stored on the HDD. Since this is a brand new unformatted HDD, you basically don't have any system files/info on it.

Creating a bootable installation drive would have the software needed to install Windows 10.

If you mistakenly delete Windows or somehow corrupt the system. The recovery disk might be used to reinstall and/or repair the system from the various places that it might have information stored on the HDD. However, if the HDD dies completely and three's no recovery partition or system info to rely on, the recovery disk is useless and you need an installation disk or a system image disk backup.

Let me know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution