Question Install Windows via Bios, or Install Windows via Windows, what's the difference?

May 24, 2024
Every clean installation of Windows has been instructed to come directly from the Bios, but doesn't the setup.exe file do the same clean installation if one chooses not to maintain his archives in one of the options?
The story goes like this:
I've changed builds, and my new GPU, RTX 2060, was handling games just fine for a while, but at some point, the fps got crazy drops, with lower temperatures (around 39-45) and 20-50 watts usage.
After that, I decided to wipe things out as I always do, which is from the setup.exe file.
But it didn't change anything.

USAFRet

Titan
"from the BIOS" ?

No.

You boot from a properly created flash drive.
That may mean changing the BIOS boot order, but you do not 'install from the BIOS'.

Doing an install from the 'setup.exe' is not a full clean install.

Reactions: HOMIZAPEINS
They both do the same thing, and they both have the same options of keeping the previous OS or doing a clean install.

They prepare the drive by partitioning and formatting the drive windows is on (or is going to be put on) then they clone install.wim onto the prepared drive and reboot the system, at that point the cloned system boots up taking care of everything else.

The reason you should always do an install from an installation media (bios) is to make sure that you have fully working installation media of the installed version of windows, in case something goes very wrong you can use it to try and fix things.

Reactions: HOMIZAPEINS
May 24, 2024
"from the BIOS" ?

No.

You boot from a properly created flash drive.
That may mean changing the BIOS boot order, but you do not 'install from the BIOS'.

Doing an install from the 'setup.exe' is not a full clean install.

Sorry, I didn't phrase it well. I mean, installation from a pendrive with Windows 10 booting it in the Bios, or directly in Windows with setup.exe

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech