Question Install windows without usb

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I recently installed a new motherboard. I was told that I have to reinstall windows because all the drivers and windows is not recognized by the new motherboard. I have no working USB ports so I cannot use a keyboard or mouse to click on anything. When windows starts up and gives me unable to start and then wants to do a system recovery but since I have nothing to click on because I have no USBs I don’t know what to do. I put the windows seven install disk in the drive but nothing happened.Can someone please help me figure this out so I can get my computer up and running? I am using the old hard drive from my previous motherboard which I have been told it’s part of the problem.

Feb 12, 2019
Make a windows install CD or buy one or if you already have one, just use that. But before you insert it into the PC make sure your BIOS is set to boot from it. If you do not know how to do that click this. If I'm mistaken about something, can you tell me what motherboard you have?

Oh and also, when windows went into recovery did it bring up a repair menu? For example, startup repair, command prompt etc...?

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have an asus crosshair hero VII WiFi. I have the install disk. I can’t get into the bios or anything because no usb works so I have no keyboard to het the corresonding button and no mouse. When it starts up I start the windows load screen then it goes black with a prompt to either do repair or start windows normally. Since I can’t hit enter it goes the windows unable to start and a pop up asks if I want to try and repair. Again can’t do anything because none of my USB ports work.

View: https://imgur.com/a/749hQRZ

D

Deleted member 14196

Your USB ports are probably not working because you were trying to install windows 10 to an old processor that doesn’t support it, am I correct?

List your PC specifications here for further help but I believe you’re trying to install to an older system that does not support windows 10 and you won’t get any USB support

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
It’s windows 7 home premium that I had installed on st other asus motherboard. I don’t know why windows 7 wouldn’t work.

Asus crosshair hero 7 wifi
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Flare X 3200 16gb
EVGA GTX 1070 superclocked

To install windows 7 on newer system, usb drivers have to be integrated into install.
You can use Gigabyte windows USB installation tool for that.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1

Or you can use SATA connected DVD drive, DVD installation media and PS/2 keyboard mouse. Then USB drivers are not necessary before installation.

Or just install windows 10. It won't have this problem with USB drivers.

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have my dvd drive hooked up to SATA but I can’t dosnliad drivers without mouse and keyboard. Will a Ps2 mouse and keyboard work without drivers? Also once I get the drivers installed should I then go onto asus website to download their drivers for usb etc? I have older programs that aren’t compatible with windows 10. That’s why I like windows 7.