Installation Drivers Not Found During Setup

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I buit a custom PC recently and I am trying to install Windows on to it. My system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I have another system (the one I am currently using) that has Windows 7 already installed. I created a usb boot drive using an .ISO and Microsoft's USB/DVD Download tool. The usb loads the installer but when I hit "Install Now", instead of going to the license information it goes to a driver setup. A popup comes up saying, "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." I downloaded the Mobo drivers off of the ASRock website and put them on a external hard drive and tried to selcect it from there. However, I had to select "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer." The driver shows up, but when I select it the message, "no new devices could be found."

I have found out that through many different forums that this is a SATA problem. So, I've tried hooking up just my SSD, just my HHD, using a DVD instead of a USB, changed the drives to IDE and AHCI, and tried moving the USB to different ports, as well as downloading and installing a completely different .ISO. This may be a Mobo issue and not a drive issue, but I hope its not.

I really need help with this as I have been working on trying to get the OS installed for 2 days and am starting to get frustrated. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks,
ShippyShoes

Solution
Yes you can still cancel the installation up to the screen where you select the Hard Drive partition... See image 5 on Step 5 of the Installation Guide linked below. And you don't need a key right away... you can install Windows 8.1 and use the key to activate it later... And you can always format Windows 8.1 anytime you want... using the quick format it's done in seconds... maybe a few minutes at most on large (1TB>) HDs.

You can still cancel the installation from image 5 on Step 5.
Step 5: Run the installer
http://www.itproportal.com/2013/10/16/a-guide-to-installing-windows-81/

This Windows RT 8.1 Preview download should serve the purpose for trying out the installation... if you fully install it may reboot every 2 hours because...
1. When installing Windows 7 from a USB 3.0 port, the drivers you have to provide are USB 3.0 drivers. This is because Windows 7 was written to be installed from a DVD drive, and when the installer detects missing installation device drivers it obviously asks according to it's programming for DVD drivers, but you need to provide the USB 3.0 drivers that are included in the disk that came packaged with the motherboard. This issue apparently doesn't happen when installing from a USB 2.0 port because those drivers are probably included in the Windows DVD.

2. The issue when installing from a DVD may be due to wrong drive controller setting. You may have used AHCI or IDE with SATA enabled... it should be SATA disabled and IDE Native/Mode Enabled, and SATA drivers to be provided later.

3. The USB issue persisting after moving the USB drive to another USB port may be that you moved it to another USB 3.0 port... try a USB 2.0 port instead.

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I actually have been using USB 2.0 ports because I found out about the 3.0 "weirdness", however I have not seen anything on any other forum about the second point you made. Is that in the BIOS/UEFI? If so, wouldn't disabling SATA not allow one to install from a DVD? Also, I forgot to mention that I got my version of windows from my brother when he helped me build my PC; I believe he did a similar process to give me windows originally. Could this be a problem or is it a non-issue?

If you've used a USB 2.0 port, then those 2.0 motherboard drivers may not be included in the Windows DVD.

You mentioned having used the AHCI and IDE BIOS settings, so you have already found the setting in BIOS/UEFI. Without the SATA drivers, SATA has to be disabled. So no... SATA needs drivers so you either provide SATA drivers or disable it and enable IDE mode so it won't need any.

If your brother installed successfully from the same ISO or DVD then you shouldn't have a problem installing either.

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Even when I change to IDE mode it still asks for CD/DVD Drivers. I've read that IDE bypasses driver installation, but it is not working for me for some reason.

I've also tried installing SATA3 and USB 2.0 drivers straight from the ASRock website and tried to install them. But, both times the message, "no device drivers were found," when I select it.

My brother did not use the exact same ISO as me, but I have tried two differen't ISO's just in case one was corrupted.

The reason IDE mode is not working may be due to not finding the right combination of settings... see if resetting the BIOS to default settings helps.

You may be using the wrong type of driver installation file.... You have to browse to and select a .INF file to install SATA drivers. Check the installation guide for complete instructions.

In any case the ISO to DVD/USB should not be the problem. If it loads up to "Install Now", it's already working... any issues during the actual installation are a different story but that type of issues is not causing what you're experiencing.

How to Load SATA Driver in Windows 7 or Vista Setup
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/68505-sata-driver-load-windows-7-vista-setup.html

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I found a SATA3 driver:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=SATA3%20Card&cat=Download

However, when I ran the .exe and opened it up in the W7 installer. I followed the steps exactly, but it yet again it says, "no new devices..."

I reset my BIOS and tried installing the driver to both IDE and AHCI. Also, I don't even get to the page with the drives to pick; for me it just goes straight to the driver page.

Have you tried installing the DVD and/or USB drivers from the Disk included with the motherboard?
All motherboards come with a CD/DVD disk that includes drivers and applications... insert the disk and when the Windows installer goes to the driver page, browse through the motherboard disk to find a "name.inf" file, it should be for SATA or USB depending on which drive you're installing from.

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I have tried doing this, however, the disc only comes with a SATA driver for Floppy, which ends up being a RAID Controller, and USB 2.0 driver folder only has a readme file. I also tried putting the usb drive into a usb 3.0 and installing the 3.0 drivers. When I do this three drivers show up as compatible: XHCI Controller, Generic USB Hub, and USB Root Hub, which is promising. But, it still says "no new devices..." I also tried putting the drive into a usb 3.0 slot before and after I hit next and tried rebooting the computer with it in a usb 3.0, but its says "bootmgr is missing," when I do that. The usb drives light flashes when it's in the the slot.

Well, something isn't right... "bootmgr is missing" should only come up with an installed Widows issue, and so would the "no new devices" message... these type if messages shouldn't come up during an installation... that may indicate an issue with the ISO just as you asked from the beggining... I'd suggest you dowload another Windows 7 ISO, this time download it from the digitalriver.com website.. if that was your download source, try redoing your installation media with different USB installer maker and disk burner.

I use Windows 8 USB installer maker and IMGBurn for CD/DVD burns. None has failed me once.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Windows-8-USB-Installer-Maker.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/ImgBurn.shtml
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Could this possibly be a drive issue. Would it be wise to plug the drives into my current PC and check to see if any data is written on them. If there is, do you think I should just remove all formatting and put them back into the new pc?

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I plugged in the SSD to see if that was used. It was empty, but, in the properties it showed a MBR (Master Boot Record). I researched a little and found out that "the MBR is the first sector of the computer hard drive that tells the computer how to load the operating system" http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/mbr.htm

So I used Darrick's Boot and Nuke to completely erase everything on my SSD and nothing in the installation changes, it still goes to the select drivers window.

You still have to format the HD after wiping it with DBAN... and formatting it will write a new MBR... maybe that will (and should) help.

Have you tried with different ISO and USB Installer maker just in case the program is the cause?..
A DVD should not have trouble installing and a USB should continue from a USB 2.0 port... So, whatever is preventing the installation is way out of the ordinary. There should be a solution but more research is necessary, or that someone that's had the problem or knows the solution pitches in.

Have your tried installing another OS? maybe a Windows XP or Ubuntu just to see if they install... if any they do, it would indicate a problem with Windows 7... and if they don't, a problem with hardware or maybe a BIOS setting would be more likely.

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I was able to install Ubuntu without a hitch and it works wonderfully. This is obviously a Windows issue and I would like to use Windows because I don't really have the knowledge of Ubuntu and would like to just "plug and play". Now we just have to find the root of that problem.

Is there a chance you can install Windows 8.1?... I suppose it has a better chance of installing since it came out when USB installations were a common thing (Windows 7 was not) so there's a better chance it won't have the driver issue. It that's out of the question you will have to try with different Windows 7 ISOs and Editions.

I haven't mentioned it but I had the problem trying to install from a USB 3.0 port, and I solved it but I'm not sure what did it... I know I disconnected the DVD drive.. but I may have also switched to a 2.0 port.. I also think the DVD drive was disconnected at the time, and I also used a redone USB with another USB Maker program and ISO.

Someone else had this problem also, and at first I suggested her to disconnect the DVD and that did not work for her, later suggested installing from a USB 2.0 port and that did it... None of the two options has worked for you so far, but I think you havent tried it from a USB 2.0 port while the DVD drive is disconnected.

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I'm going to try installing with a different Windows 7 USB maker and ISO. Would I be able to just test to see if Windows 8.1 would install without actually fully installing it and putting in a key? I'll update you as I try out the new installer.

Yes you can still cancel the installation up to the screen where you select the Hard Drive partition... See image 5 on Step 5 of the Installation Guide linked below. And you don't need a key right away... you can install Windows 8.1 and use the key to activate it later... And you can always format Windows 8.1 anytime you want... using the quick format it's done in seconds... maybe a few minutes at most on large (1TB>) HDs.

You can still cancel the installation from image 5 on Step 5.
Step 5: Run the installer
http://www.itproportal.com/2013/10/16/a-guide-to-installing-windows-81/

This Windows RT 8.1 Preview download should serve the purpose for trying out the installation... if you fully install it may reboot every 2 hours because the 3 month Preview trial ended months ago.
http://microsoft-windows-81-preview.xtremedownload.com/download/file/id/857990/?lp=adwords&tg=mx&kw=Windows+8.1&mt=p&ad=44518395179&pl=&ds=s&gclid=CPuHrIGXyb4CFVGVfgodhQIANQ

Just in case you finish the Windows 8.1 installation, install this Start Menu replacement right after... it will make Win 8.1 work and almost look the same as Windows 7.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Solution

shippyshoes

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I finally did get Windows 7 running! It was either the ISO I was using or the usb installer maker. I worked and I am now on my new PC. I will have to look into Windows 8.1 at a later time. Now all I have to do is to set up my old computer so the rest of my family can use it.

Thank you so much for all the help. You were a real driving force to keep me from giving up. If I ever need help again with Windows I'll be sure to hit you up.

Thanks again,
Shippy

Leshard

Commendable
May 11, 2016

How do install drivers during windows 7 installation? I'm trying to install my sata control drivers nut I can't seem to install it. Please help

P.S I'm installing windows 7 via USB

Enter the BIOS and set the sata controller to IDE Mode so you can install Windows without SATA drivers, and install drivers later from Windows.