[SOLVED] Installation of a second NVME (980 Pro) back to basic questions...

Mar 24, 2021
Apologies upfront if I have posted this question in the wrong section!

I'm intending to install a Samsung 980 Pro NVME as a 'second' NVME Drive. I'm probably over thinking the process and the more I do the more doubts enters my head.

Presently I have my Win 10 OS on a 970 Evo NVME located in the 'number 1' slot of my AsRock Taichi X570 motherboard. Can someone confirm that it's okay to 'simply' install the 980 in the second slot and then move my OS across for the improved access time. Or....

... is it best to move the 970 Evo to the second slot (hopefully the OS still connects to the 3rd party software), install the 980 into the first slot, then mirror the OS across wtih the Samsung Migration software?

3rd Option (here's the evidence of me over-thinking it, moving the OS to available empty SSD [non-NVME] , setting the 980 Pro into the first slot, the 970 EVO into the second slot then once confirmation is made that the Bios/OS can see the NVMEs, migrate the OS from the SSD to the 980............phew!

Be grateful for a 'guru' to walk me through the process, thanks in advance.

Regards

Seyley

Solution
Can someone confirm that it's okay to 'simply' install the 980 in the second slot and then move my OS across for the improved access time. Or....
It's fine to install.

1st M.2 slot operates in gen3 or gen4 mode depending on cpu used.
2nd and 3rd M.2 slots operate at gen4 mode.

I'd just install new M.2 drive, but leave OS on current drive.
Moving OS is just an extra unnecessary step. Do not expect any real world storage performance improvements (other than in benchmarks).
Apologies upfront if I have posted this question in the wrong section!

I'm intending to install a Samsung 980 Pro NVME as a 'second' NVME Drive. I'm probably over thinking the process and the more I do the more doubts enters my head.

Presently I have my Win 10 OS on a 970 Evo NVME located in the 'number 1' slot of my AsRock Taichi X570 motherboard. Can someone confirm that it's okay to 'simply' install the 980 in the second slot and then move my OS across for the improved access time. Or....

... is it best to move the 970 Evo to the second slot (hopefully the OS still connects to the 3rd party software), install the 980 into the first slot, then mirror the OS across wtih the Samsung Migration software?

3rd Option (here's the evidence of me over-thinking it, moving the OS to available empty SSD [non-NVME] , setting the 980 Pro into the first slot, the 970 EVO into the second slot then once confirmation is made that the Bios/OS can see the NVMEs, migrate the OS from the SSD to the 980............phew!

Be grateful for a 'guru' to walk me through the process, thanks in advance.

Regards

Seyley
Although both M.2 slots are PCIe v4 first slot is controlled by CPU and second by chipset so 980 would be marginally faster in first slot. 970 will work in PCIe v3 mode.

Mar 24, 2021
Thanks for the quick response, can I simply (once installation is complete), boot into the Bios, change the 'boot to' to the 970 in it's new slot, then once booted succesfully, clone over the OS to the 980?

Can someone confirm that it's okay to 'simply' install the 980 in the second slot and then move my OS across for the improved access time. Or....
It's fine to install.

1st M.2 slot operates in gen3 or gen4 mode depending on cpu used.
2nd and 3rd M.2 slots operate at gen4 mode.

I'd just install new M.2 drive, but leave OS on current drive.
Moving OS is just an extra unnecessary step. Do not expect any real world storage performance improvements (other than in benchmarks).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS