installation of server 2003 and pc parts damage issue

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Hi everybody.

Please, I would like your opinion with the following issue.

I want to build a SOHO network with a MS Windows Server 2003. I have never in the past installed and be involved in servers.
The reason I want to do this is to start dealing with server software, in order to come in contact and learn active directory domains ervices,database, GPO, user rights, network security, network sharing, etc. This is the reason for the installation. I say all these details to inform you that I want to make the simplest installation and that I am not interested now or in the future use this server as a web server, exchange server, etc. I want the simplest installation.

I have just a simple pc where I want to install server 2003.
So, next, I am giving you some information that I believe you need to answer my question.

CPU:AMD Phenom II X3 2.5GHz Triple-Core
motherboard:ASUS M3N78 ( driver page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N78/HelpDesk_Download/ )
GPU:NVIDIA GeForce 8200 mGPU (on board)
RAM:4GB
o/s:Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition

A. What is your opinion for this combination of pc parts? Is this ok? Will I have any issue (meaning possibility of damage of any part)?

B. I gave you the link above, because there, exists the drivers support. Although in O/S list is included Windows Server 2003 32/64 bit, no drivers for chipset, sound card, etc exist. What does it mean? That o/s will install them, and no drivers are needed to be in ASUS' page, be downloaded and installed?

Thank you for your time!

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
First of all, thank you for your answer.
Yes, of course it would be better.

Of course I have no problem working with windows server 2008, 2012, 2016. The latest edition I work on, the better for me. If I could use 2016, of course would be great. I would learn all these I want.

The reason that I uploaded topic with 2003 was that I saw in ASUS' page, as last driver o/s, server 2003 for my mobo, and I did not know if my pc parts combination is ok for a resource session. And no damage would come out, because resources would not be enough. And of course, drivers matter.

But, believe me. If server 2008 or 2012 or 2016 is ok for resources, and some other drivers are compatible, I will install one out of the three.

Probably work for playing with, used a Phenom II x4 for awhile as a Win2012/2016 media server.

Drivers can be interesting, but normally find the corresponding Windows 7/8/10 drivers can be manually installed from the Device Manager, installers sometimes complain.

I personally would experiment with having the server and clients host in separate VM's and then simulate a network between them, so it never needs to connect to internet etc.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015

Yes. You are right. VMs are also an interesting solution that I had also thought. And virtual machine is another IT area I want to learn. But, for now, I have no idea.

If you have time to give me a couple of links, downloaded files, advice, etc to begin with VMs, would be great. I would have both earning in VMs and Server practice.