Installation of windows 8.1 on HP Pavilion laptop with FREEDOS.

Gia_Barb

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Having problems with the installation. Got the license code, went to microsoft.com and downloaded 'mediacreationtool' (using my old laptop) on a dvd. Inserted dvd. Went into the BIOS while booting, went to 'boot options' and 'enabled' dvd/cd rom drive. Also, under UEFI I moved the dvd/cd rom drive to highest position....saved and exited.

When I restart, the computer doesn't seem to know that it is supposed to boot via dvd.
Anyone any suggestions?
I'd appreciate simple steps, I am no IT person, sorry.

I need to get some sleep now, this created too much of a headache, maybe someone can help tomorrow

Barb

Gia_Barb

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

thanks for your suggestion but that doesn't show up as an option. Actually need to check back if something's off with the software I downloaded...

popatim

Titan
You need to run the media creation tool to actually make the install DVD.

First download the win8.1 iso from here. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
Remember where you save it to.
Then run the media creation tool and point it to the iso you just downloaded and it will create a bootable windows install disk for you to use on the new computer. I would suggest making 2 or 3. I know I'm always misplacing them. LOL