Installation problem on new build

Lawrence Chong

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I really need help...

I have recently built a gigabyte 770 modo with SATA harddrive.

When I try to reboot with the XP cd to intall, everything went fine but when the system restart in harddrive, it is giving me disc error.....

what is happening

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If you have no service pack you need to install the sata drivers for the board.
You must either get them on a floppy and put them in when windows asks or slipstrem SP2 to the windows disk and then it will work.

Toppam

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If you have installed the SATA Drivers (you are prompted to push F6 when installing windows), then it may be an issue with the HDD size.

I should add that my own experience with my Windows XP Pro (Full Version, Retail Boxed) is that it WILL NOT install properly on a 500GB SATA disk. It seems to complete, then just as it's about to run for the first time proper, I get a BSOD. My solution is to create a Primary partition of about 200GB initially. I then complete the installation and load the basic drivers (Video, motherboard etc). Then I use ASEUS PARTITION MANAGER to increase the Primary partition to the full size of the HDD.

A symptom of not having the right SATA drivers is sometimes that the system will not recognise the full size of the disk during the installation.

Can you provide more information?