Installation stuck in loop

I'm attempting to install NT4 on a new system. The setup process starts loading files then just reboots, continuing this loop.

Configuration:
asus p4800-mx mobo
2xcorsair ddr333 256mb chips
p4 2.8ghz
wd800jb hd

Things I've tried:
* creating/using setup floppies instead of cd
* swapping hard drives
* removing all hard drives
* removing/swapping ram
* using partition magic to format hd to ntfs/fat32 first
* using a different NT4 installation cd

I've searched extensively on MS support, internet forums, newsgroups, all to no avail. I can't switch OS because the clients software will only run on NT4.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Are these drives SCSI? Also NT does not support FAT32 and I would not use
partition magic at all for anything with NT.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Blue Coral" <Blue Coral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to install NT4 on a new system. The setup process starts
>
> Configuration:
> asus p4800-mx mobo
> 2xcorsair ddr333 256mb chips
> p4 2.8ghz
> wd800jb hd
>
> Things I've tried:
> * creating/using setup floppies instead of cd
> * swapping hard drives
> * removing all hard drives
> * removing/swapping ram
> * using partition magic to format hd to ntfs/fat32 first
> * using a different NT4 installation cd
>
> I've searched extensively on MS support, internet forums, newsgroups, all
to no avail. I can't switch OS because the clients software will only run on
NT4.

> Thank you in advance for any help.

IIUC, the system loops in the text-based stage? Ensure the BIOS is in the
PIC mode and any Boot sector protection is disabled.
If the system restarts out of the blue, recheck the assembly and reduce the
RAM amount for the setup. NT4 server needs only 16 MB to run and workstation
needs 12 MB <sigh>

1) Run Memtest86 on the system first to verify the computer
is OK. (Since this IS a new system.. right?)
2) Check your hard drive cabling and CPU mounting.
3) Consider this: If possible you could use Windows XP, buy
a copy of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, and install Windows NT
into a virtual PC (works fabulous!). This way your one
application will be happy and the user can still use
Windows XP for everything else. (if the cost isn't prohibitive)

Thank you everybody. I'm still stuck. If I had hair I'd be pulling it out!
Here are the answers to your questions:
Q>Are these drives SCSI? Also NT does not support FAT32
A>No, they are IDE. During installation NT formats a section of the hardrive as FAT32 first and then later converts it to NTFS, thats why I tried using Partition Magic to format it both ways to no avail.
Q>the system loops in the text-based stage?
A>Yes
Q>Ensure the BIOS is in the PIC mode
A>I don't know how to do that with the Asus p4800-mx mobo and can't find any instructions anywhere on how to do it. Any suggestions?
Qs>1) Run Memtest86 on the system first to verify the computer
is OK. (Since this IS a new system.. right?)
2) Check your hard drive cabling and CPU mounting.
3) Consider this: If possible you could use Windows XP, buy
a copy of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, and install Windows NT
into a virtual PC (works fabulous!). This way your one
application will be happy and the user can still use
Windows XP for everything else. (if the cost isn't prohibitive)
A>1) Done.Passed.
2) Cabling and CPU ok.
3) I guess if nothing else works, but there has to be a way to load NT.

Correction:
I meant NT formats a section of the hard drive as fat16 not fat32. My bad.