Question Installed 16gb ram 15.8gb usable

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Ive been experiencing some crashes lately in games.First thing i checked was ram on system information page.And it sometimes shows up as 16gb 14.3 usable or on restart as 16gb 15.8gb usable.Id suspect that could be the cause.
Im on Windows 11 64bit
Specs:
Asus prime b560 plus
Intel i5 11400f (no integrated graphics)
Nvidia RTX 3070 Manli 8gb
Kingston 16gb 2x8 3200mhz
1 2tb WD hdd
1 1tb Samsung SSD

Things ive tried:
  • Disabling paging file
  • Tried to find setting to disable igpu in bios but couldnt find any (in mobo manual it says it should be somewhere in System Agent (SA) Configuration listed under graphics configuration but graphic configuration isnt there.
  • In advanced boot configuration maximum memory is unticked

Ive been experiencing some crashes lately in games.First thing i checked was ram on system information page.And it sometimes shows up as 16gb 14.3 usable or on restart as 16gb 15.8gb usable.Id suspect that could be the cause.
Im on Windows 11 64bit
Specs:
Asus prime b560 plus
Intel i5 11400f (no integrated graphics)
Nvidia RTX 3070 Manli 8gb
Kingston 16gb 2x8 3200mhz
1 2tb WD hdd
1 1tb Samsung SSD

Things ive tried:
  • Disabling paging file
  • Tried to find setting to disable igpu in bios but couldnt find any (in mobo manual it says it should be somewhere in System Agent (SA) Configuration listed under graphics configuration but graphic configuration isnt there.
  • In advanced boot configuration maximum memory is unticked
The system telling you there's 14.8 or 15gb usable is normal that's basically it telling you the pc is using x amount of ram at the time and there's x amount free at the time.... Your issue is most likely to do with drivers. Have you installed the latest mobo drivers and bios, and not just install the system files and windows drivers.

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
The system telling you there's 14.8 or 15gb usable is normal that's basically it telling you the pc is using x amount of ram at the time and there's x amount free at the time.... Your issue is most likely to do with drivers. Have you installed the latest mobo drivers and bios, and not just install the system files and windows drivers.
Every single driver is up to date.Including bios and motherboard drivers. And about the usable part,im pretty sure the x amount of ram used at a time and x amount free at the time is related to task managers info telling you whats used currently and not the this pc properties tab as all 16gb of ram should be available. Meaning the rest 200mb-1gb-2gb etc is dedicated for something else and i cant seem to figure out for what

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Every single driver is up to date.Including bios and motherboard drivers. And about the usable part,im pretty sure the x amount of ram used at a time and x amount free at the time is related to task managers info telling you whats used currently and not the this pc properties tab as all 16gb of ram should be available. Meaning the rest 200mb-1gb-2gb etc is dedicated for something else and i cant seem to figure out for what
The memory looks normal, every single driver is up to date has no meaning in no way does that rule out a driver problem.

No power supply listed.

I would start by running memtest then do a full system stress test checking temps.

I've seen simple things like a keyboard driver cause problems.

Another thing to cause crap like that is the gimmick Asus software I would uninstall all of it some of it is actually hard to get all of it gone.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
The memory looks normal, every single driver is up to date has no meaning in no way does that rule out a driver problem.
What i was referring to was white.a.drews question are they all updated.Anyhow i did windows reinstall and its stil the same.

My PSU is seasonic g650 gold

Im running temperature tests pretty frequently and got no issues whatsoever. Got hyper 212 evo as my cpu cooler. Cant recall exact temperature but its about 30-35 degrees idle. And gpus max temp is 62 degrees celsius full throttle.

I do use wireless peripherals royal kludge keyboard ,hyperx mouse and headset not sure if they could drain that small bit. Also i dont use asus software.

Just ran memtest and it went through with no issues.

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
There may be hardware on the system that needs its own bit of memory to run. But I don't think losing 1% of RAM is worth losing sleep over.
Yea i totally agree but its just weird seeing this as ive always had whole 16gb available. Just trying to figure out for the sake of it,i like troubleshooting anyways.And I do reinstall windows once every few months so this just pushed me to do annual reset haha