• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Installed 2X8gb sticks of RAM. CPU-Z shows 16gb, but BIOS/Windows shows and uses only 8gb

Floormonitor

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
I'm very, very, very new to computers. I just bought a custom built PC for cheap off of a friend. I'm trying to upgrade it myself. Here's what I have:

The mother board I'm using is AsusTek P6X58D-E with Intel X58 chipset, DDR3 RAM, i7 950 processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 graphics.

It has 6 dimm slots (and max 24 gig ram), and Windows 7 64-bit. It originally had 3 2gb sticks in it, I added 2 8gig sticks. I checked compatibility with the motherboard and it should support this RAM http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=718633075 (I live in Korea now so I had to buy the ram through this site).

I have the RAM in the right configuration, however I don't think it's a DIMM slot issue because my previous 3 stick setup worked in those slots, as well as CPU-Z recognizing both sticks.

I have most of the settings for voltage and timings in BIOS set to auto.

I also noticed that with the new RAM set-up that my computer starts like a lawnmower. It'll turn on, turn off, turn on again, turn off, then start normally.

My computer also works fine when I put in my old 3X2gb configuration.

Again, I'm really new with computers so I'm not too familiar with most jargon. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would like to trouble shoot the sticks I bought as much as possible, it was difficult for me to buy them in a foreign country, and will be even more difficult to return them.

Tradesman1

Titan
The mobo is made to use up to 4GB sticks, not 8GB, it supports up to 24GB total in a 6x4GB config, the system 'sees' you DRAM and try's to use it, but can't. Best to get a package of 3x4GB or 6x4GB of DRAM that is actually compatible

Floormonitor

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks guys for the input, I just got my 3x4gb sticks in today and it works like a charm! The computer doesn't start like a lawnmower anymore, and I can finally explore the Commonwealth in Fallout 4 without low memory warnings!