Installed 32 GB RAM but PC only shows 16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2018
https://imgur.com/8UBPbM8
^Task manager
I just built my own pc and installed 32gb of ram. My computer only shows that 16gb are usable. These are new ram too. I ordered them a few days ago and they just arrived today (Oct. 8, 2018). I used them to install into my build to finalize it.

Additionally, the task manager shows that I am currently using 1 out of 3 DIMM slots. I am not sure if my motherboard is faulty, RAM is faulty, or there's something wrong with my BIOS settings. My friend set up the BIOS settings for me.

https://imgur.com/lLChirM
^System specifications

Sep 5, 2018

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming

Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

I did test each memory stick one at a time. They both seem to work perfectly.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Your Manual states to put the 2 sticks of ram into Slots A2 and B2 (looks like the same color. the one next to the power plug is the A2 and the B2 is the second one from the CPU socket.

Check that you have them in the correct slots and that they are tight (and check that no dust / hair got in there with the RAM). then boot and see if it sees both sticks of ram. (I would check bios / UEFI first)

Sep 5, 2018

What do I need to do in the BIOS/UEFI to fix the issue? I've checked that they're in the right slot and that there is no dust, hair, or damage on the RAM.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Ok so now it starts to look like a motherboard issue.

I assume that you have not changed any BIOS options?

Try a CMOS reset. If the memory does not show in BIOS then it will not work. in windows.

Have you tried the memory in the other slot combinations So for example A1 and B1 instead of A2 and B2

Sep 5, 2018

I just tested out all of the ram slots again. I tested each ram stick in all the slots. I found out that B1 and B2 does not work. A1 and A2 works perfectly.

I now have 32GB of ram but another question comes to mind. Will switching from dual to single channel be a significant change? Or what's the difference?

Sep 5, 2018

I just tested out all of the ram slots again. I tested each ram stick in all the slots. I found out that B1 and B2 does not work. A1 and A2 works perfectly.

I now have 32GB of ram but another question comes to mind. Will switching from dual to single channel be a significant change? Or what's the difference?

Sep 5, 2018

Okay, thank you. I was just wondering for future instances.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
AHH your issue with the 2 slots now working (the second channel) is 98% sure it is just you need to pull your CPU out and reseat it.. those intel CPUs (like the threadripper ones) if they are not 100% correct in the socket will only work on like 1 channel of ram.. and you really want to be able to use the dual channel ram as some games it REALLY MATTERs. and like I said 98% of the time all you have to to is take it out and put it back in (the CPU that is) just make sure you replace the CPU paste when you do and be sure the pins on the motherboard are not bent.. or have hair or whatever on them (visually check them). I had the SAME problem with a Threadripper AMD build I did when they came out. I had installed windows server 2016 on it but only half the ram would show up so did a little research and found that all I needed to do was remove the CPU and put it back and poof the 64GB of ram was all there after doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.