Installed a new HDD, PC now not booting

mubster

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hi,

This morning I installed a new Seagate 1TB 3.5" HDD, into my mothers desktop computer, and after attempting to boot, the pc fans would run and lights would show including the disk light. However there was no video coming from the GPU, and USB devices would not work, I attempted to use a PS2 keyboard which showed lights when I turned on the pc though after the caps lock or num lock keys would not activate the lights on the keyboard.

The PC specs are as follows:

CPU: intel core i5 650 - 3.2Ghz - LGA 1156 (clock was previously increased to 3.45ghz, however in my attempts to boot the pc I cleared the CMOS)
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) GSkill Ripjaws - 1333MHz
GPU: 2GB ASUS GT640
Mobo: FOXCONN H55M-S

After it failed to boot I unplugged the new HDD leaving only the old Samsung 1TB HDD remaining and it still failed to show anything on screen or for peripherals to function. Also tried removing the GPU and getting video feed from the onboard video to no avail.

Any Ideas?

Solution

Then i would guess that it's something wrong with the motherboard

mubster

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

I previously had the BIOS boot priority to be the Samsung HDD followed by the Blu Ray Optical Disk Drive, after clearing the CMOS I am unsure of what order the SATA devices boot from and unable to check due to the fact that I cannot see anything on any monitor I have tried, with D-SUB, DVI or HDMI cables.

TechHelpNO

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Do you have another desktop to see if the GPU is working right?

mubster

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Yes, I tried the ASUS GT640 GPU in my own personal desktop computer and it worked successfully.

TechHelpNO

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Could it be a problem with the motherboard, and if you think so then i suggest that you check the motherboard on your pc or try if the GPU from your pc works when you put it on your mothers motherboard on her pc.
That way you can see if its not a problem with the motherboard :)

mubster

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Alright, I put my GTX 660ti the place of the GT640 turned power on and the GPU fan started spinning but like before no video was outputted to the monitor

Alex_Cboy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I had the same problem , for me it was the 2 x 8 pins wire for my GPU - GTX 780 check that all the inside cables are correctly put in, then try starting your computer, if nothing happens you'll need another Power Supply and try again if nothing happens again then try replacing the HDD with another HDD.And then try replacing RAM, CD-Driver. If nothing works then i don't know what is going on.

-Alex
I'm a computer technician

TechHelpNO

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Then i would guess that it's something wrong with the motherboard

Solution

mubster

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I found the cause of the problem to be that both the 3rd and 4th RAM slots had failed on the motherboard, and have subsequently moved the 2nd stick to the 2nd slot rather than third thus removing the dual channel ram features but being able to now boot the pc!

TRENDING THREADS