Question Installed a new RX 570, PC doesn't boot or show display

Jan 25, 2020
1
0
10
0
Yes, this seems to be a very common question when googled. So far, everything I have tried doesn't work.

So I am using an older Dell desktop(XPS X8700-1880BLK) that I purchased about 6-7Years ago. It still works great, I started getting into some video editing, figured I'd upgrade the GPU for that reason. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of money since it is an older PC, and I found a RX570 on Amazon for $130. Figured that was a good deal, bought it thinking it would work.
I got the card a few days ago, realized i only have two 6Pins from the PSU. Looked it up, there's a cable that is a dual 6Pin to 8Pin adapter that works just fine. Bought that, just got it last night.
So I plug it all in, the fans on the GPU, and inside the PC, are spinning but I'm getting no display at all, and I can tell the PC is not booting up. As soon as I hit the power button on the PC, it immediately shuts off, which tells me it never got passed the boot screen. Cannot get to the BIOS screen. I am using an HDMI cable, same one as before.

As soon as I unplug the new GPU and plug in the old one (GT 720), the computer boots up fine. I have disabled all of the old drivers. The PSU in this desktop says it's total Watts is 460. Now if it is the PSU that needs to be upgraded, wouldn't it not boot at all(no power)? I've tried removing the battery on the motherboard to reset the CMOS, no changes.

This looks to be the PC I have, but with a 4770 processor.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-X8700-1880BLK-Desktop-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00K0HMVNM

PowerCooler RedDragon Radeon RTX570
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 11/18/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
If it makes a difference, I've got a 1Tb HDD, 3TB HDD, and a 128Gb SSD.

I am out of ideas on what to do. At this point I almost want to just build a new PC, but really would like for this to work. Could it be that the RX570 is not compatible with my motherboard?
 

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
638
107
790
50
My Haswell Dell runs the RX 570 just fine. Almost certainly the issue is the stock dell PSU. It looks like it uses a standard atx 24 pin, so a regular atx PSU should just drop in.
 

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
638
107
790
50
The problem he described is pretty much exactly what mine did when I only had the 8 pin plugged in and turned it on. Once I plugged in the 6,it booted right up.
 

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
638
107
790
50
New PSU is needed regardless. He's using a 460W PSU, so that is most likely the problem. If a new PSU doesn't do it, then he can worry about updating or "patching" his bios.
 

Nemesia

Notable
Nov 6, 2019
1,058
187
940
30
The problem here is the PSU. Adapters are garbage for this. If the PSU does not have a 6+2 pins already it just mean you should not be using that PSU for this. If the PSU could support that it would have that 6+2 already.

We are talking about a 6-7 years old 460 Watts PSU. Please replace it before it blows up and bring half your hardware with it.
 

Nemesia

Notable
Nov 6, 2019
1,058
187
940
30
^
Sure PSU change is recommended if he has the budget, but what is more convenient for to troubleshoot right now to buy a PSU or to update the BIOS?
The problem is the PSU. 6-7 years old degraded PSU that doesn't output 460 Watts anymore and that doesn't have a 6+2 pins because it's just not made for this. 1% chance that it's the BIOS. 99% that it's the PSU.
 
Reactions: Remeca

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
638
107
790
50
^
Sure PSU change is recommended if he has the budget, but what is more convenient for to troubleshoot right now to buy a PSU or to update the BIOS?
The 570 is a power hungry card that generally requires a 500W PSU (depends on the SKU, some are more, some less. Using an OLD PSU that can't provide required wattage, of questionable quality in the first place is the issue. Once that is resolved, if there is still an issue, then we can move on to troubleshooting BIOS. OP made a mistake buying a GPU before the PSU, so if he has to wait to use it until he can afford to buy a good enough PSU, then that's just what he'll have to do. It isn't advisable to continue trying to use the old PSU.
 
Jan 8, 2020
92
14
35
0
Dudes you are repeating yourselves, when no one disagreed about that the current system needs a PSU with higher wattage for a guarantee normal function.

Now if this is the suspect that cause the no video output problem or the old BIOS is something that we will see, if the OP cares to share about.

The problem is the PSU. 6-7 years old degraded PSU that doesn't output 460 Watts anymore and that doesn't have a 6+2 pins because it's just not made for this. 1% chance that it's the BIOS. 99% that it's the PSU.
I agree with the analysis (not with the scientific percentages 😁) I disagree with the order of solution.

Note to the OP, statements of exploding PSUs, in the current situation/post, I found them anecdotal. So don't afraid to install your old card, patch the BIOS and then try to see if the RX 570 works with your system.

This way you will know at least if you need or not to buy a new system along with the obligatory new PSU. :)
 

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
638
107
790
50
I disagree on the order of operation. The PSU has to be done regardless. It just isn't up to the job. I'm not saying it will blow up or destroy components, but it is most likely not going to boot (as is the case in OP), and if it does boot, it will probably shut down under load. I keep repeating myself because a BIOS update isn't an issue. RX 5XX is a popular midrange card and there are lots of posts of people with OP's PC installing them, and the only issue being replacing the PSU. GPU's aren't like CPUs in that they have to be specifically supported by the chipset. They just need to use the PCIe 3 standard, and will be backwards compatible. There are some reports of certain cards not working in legacy only BIOS, but his PC has UEFI.
 

DSzymborski

Glorious
Moderator
If I go to the ER with a broken foot and there are signs I'm having a heart attack, the doctors are going to address the heart attack first, even though addressing the heart attack doesn't fix the broken foot.

The PSU needs to be replaced under any scenario, whether the GPU is working or not. Once you have the correct safety equipment installed, then you re-evaluate and see where you are with the GPU functioning and what else might have to be done to get it working.
 
Reactions: Remeca and Nemesia

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS