[SOLVED] Installed a new, working hard drive and my old one is failing, what is the best way to move my files?

shubhambhatnagar2017

Commendable
Dec 13, 2018
I have a 1 TB hdd, a 500 gb ssd, and a 2 tb hard drive on my system. My 1 TB hdd is failing, and is making strange sounds and crashes my computer often. I have a combination of downloads, virtual machines, apps, steam games, and non steam games on this drive. I want to move it all to my 2 TB drive, which is fairly new and can fit all of the storage in my broken hard drive. What is the best way to move all of these files??

Solution
Buy a USB-SATA dock.
Power up this drive only after the system is running.

For many of the things on this drive, the changing drive letters will be an issue.
Non-steam games, your VM's, etc.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
If possible, copy, do not move, 1st priority folders and files from source to target, then 2nd priority copy, and so on. I recommend not moving, because if anything goes wrong during the attempted Move, both source and target might get corrupted. At least with the Copy, the chances of both "ends" getting corrupted during any Copy operation is less. Definitely get that problematic drive into a separate external usb thing-a=mabob, that will greatly lessen if not prevent crashes. Now, if your crashes are further up the food chain, that might pose problems down the road.

shubhambhatnagar2017

Commendable
Dec 13, 2018
I was actually able to transfer my files fine, in basically the way you documented. I have just removed the drive, but when I started my pc it was very slow and crashed twice. I ran diagnostics and it said it was fine. After the third time, it seems to work now? Interesting.... Also, my new hard drive has been making a little bit of noise. Is this bad?