installed cpu then took it out

Nomv

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
I bought cpu to go with my motherboard. I put it on and all, but then I decided to return the cpu with another one. My main question is, will the CPU have any damage when I clean the thermal paste on it? Can the CPU still usable after it already installed on one motherboard?

Thank for the help!

Solution
It will have no damage done to it and can be used with any compatible motherboard, assuming you do things correctly. To remove the thermal paste use isopropyl, (rubbing alcohol), with a lint free cloth, (anything cotton, coffee filters), make sure to get all the paste off. When you install a CPU into a motherboard, all it does is puts it into a socket that houses it safely and allows for the motherboard to communicate with it. You can remove it anytime you want and put it in any other compatible motherboard, just make sure you are static free or else that will fry the CPU.

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
It will have no damage done to it and can be used with any compatible motherboard, assuming you do things correctly. To remove the thermal paste use isopropyl, (rubbing alcohol), with a lint free cloth, (anything cotton, coffee filters), make sure to get all the paste off. When you install a CPU into a motherboard, all it does is puts it into a socket that houses it safely and allows for the motherboard to communicate with it. You can remove it anytime you want and put it in any other compatible motherboard, just make sure you are static free or else that will fry the CPU.

Solution