Installed Hard Drive Not Showing In "My Computer" Or Accessible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeffysno

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Been looking through old posts, but can't seem to find an answer for my current storage problem and hoping someone might be able to help out. I'm about as computer dumb as they come, so already please keep that in mind when replying and no offense to any dumbed down instructions. :)

I had an old Iomega 1tb external hard drive that quit being recognized by the computer and it has some old files/photos I'm hoping to get off of it. After doing some online research and trouble shooting, decided to try and install it as a second drive on my old Dell desktop that is running Vista. The drive does not show up under my computer, but I can see it under computer management/disk management and can also see it going in through CMD/DISKPART.

When in DISKPART, if I type in LIST DISK I can see:

Disk 0 - online - size is 233gb (this is my C drive)
Disk 1 - online - size 932gb (this is my old external)

I read somewhere that I could rename a disk via DISKPART, but need to choose a volume first. When I type in LIST VOLUME, the only return I get is:

Volume 0 - drive letter C

The newly installed hard drive doesn't show up as volume 1.

When I go into Disk Management I see a split screen (top/bottom) view. Up on top it shows 4 drive icons with the top 3 with no drive letter assigned, layout = simple, type = basic, file system is blank and status says Healthy (primary partition). the 4th drive icon is labeled with C:, layout = simple, type = basic, file system = NTFS and status says Healthy (system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition.) On the bottom portion I also see both disks (disk 0 orig hard drive and disk 1 newly installed), but can't do anything with disk 1. Both disks show up as basic, storage size and show as being "online". Disk 0 is identified as my C: drive and shows healthy. Disk 1 shows 3 partitions (24mb, 3.92gb, 927.57gb) with all 3 showing healthy. Disk 1 does not have a drive letter assigned. When I try to right click on any section of the disk 1 line (main icon with drive icon, or any partition), the only choices I am able to make are delete volume and help. All the other choices like make partition active or change drive letter are grayed out and cannot be picked.

Any ideas on what I can do next? Hoping that since the computer is still able to somewhat identify it that I might be able to pull some old files off this drive before officially proclaiming it dead.

Solution
Recuva is a file recovery application.. what you need is a Data Recovery application... some partition managers include a Data Recovery section, and their developers also make apps specifically developed for Partition and Data Recovery. There are also many Partition and Data, Partition Recovery only and Data Recovery only applications.

Partition Find and Mount scans for the HDD, can allow you to find and mount lost partititons, allows you to add a partition drive letter to make partitions visible in the Windows File Manager (Explorer) and copy files from them.

http://qpdownload.com/partition-find-and-mount/

Another Partition Recovery applications that helped me find lost partitions and recover data was DiskGenius that came...

jeffysno

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Tried the recovery option in Minitool and it allowed me to select the drive, took over an hour to get to 1%, then sped thru the remaining 99% and then it just went back to the main screen. No report, no result. I tried Power Data Recovery, but it didn't even recognize the bad disk drive. Recuva wouldn't get past step 1 and it just kept racking up time remaining, but didn't really scan anything (it did work properly on my C and known good external).

Recuva is a file recovery application.. what you need is a Data Recovery application... some partition managers include a Data Recovery section, and their developers also make apps specifically developed for Partition and Data Recovery. There are also many Partition and Data, Partition Recovery only and Data Recovery only applications.

Partition Find and Mount scans for the HDD, can allow you to find and mount lost partititons, allows you to add a partition drive letter to make partitions visible in the Windows File Manager (Explorer) and copy files from them.

http://qpdownload.com/partition-find-and-mount/

Another Partition Recovery applications that helped me find lost partitions and recover data was DiskGenius that came included in the Hiren's Boot CD and worked for free, but I think it's not free anymore though the old Hiren's Boot CD version may still work.

Partition Recovery software for Windows
https://www.google.com.mx/search?client=opera&hs=C1d&ei=ul1dWszaF4us0gKTkKrADA&q=partition+recovery+software+for+windows&oq=partition+recovery+software+for+windows&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0l2j0i30k1l2j0i5i30k1l6.35215.37328.0.39773.10.10.0.0.0.0.175.1203.4j6.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.1196...0i7i30k1j0i8i7i30k1j0i7i5i30k1.0.7pfblSHR-B4

Data Recovery software for Windows
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=jKJ&ei=cl1dWr-FC8ub0wL08a-4DQ&q=data+recovery+software+for+windows&oq=data+recovery+software&gs_l=psy-ab.1.7.0i203k1l6j0i67k1j0l3.64569.65979.0.70727.5.5.0.0.0.0.194.569.0j4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.569...0i7i30k1.0.a82-RcQpe9g

One more option is any linux distro that you can burn to a Live CD/DVD, boot from it and often they can see HDD contents that are invisible to Windows and allow you to recover files.

Solution