[SOLVED] Installed more* ram, display signals stop working randomly

Apr 23, 2021
I recently installed 2 more sticks of ram into my pc. After which, the display signals completely cut out. The pc is still running (sound, webcam, fans, etc.) The PC can boot to bios. In bios, all 4 ram sticks are recognized. These 2 separate kits are the same brand, size, speed, and CAS latency. PC worked completely fine running 3 monitors before I added the second kit of ram. I have even called Corsair to figure something out. Would really like some fast responses as the computer in question is my main one for college use. Thanks for you time.

My PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Pro Mobo
GTX 970
NZXT 750w PSU
4x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX vengeance 3600mHz

Things I have already tried:

1. set the XMP profile.

2. Cleared CMOS

3. Switched kits around (kit 1 to 1 and 3, kit 2 to 2 and 4)

Solution
This is the reason you should always buy the whole memory kit at once. Even with the brand, size, speed, and CAS being the same, Corsair could have made other subtle changes making it difficult or impossible for these sets to run together in dual-channel mode.

Try booting from a Memtest86 with just the new kit in slots 2 and 4 from the CPU. Go through one full pass (it will take a while). Then do the same with the old kit. Then put both kits together.
It's possible you'll be able to run both kits with increased voltage or at a slower speed but that may require hours of testing and tweaking to figure out the correct speed/voltage and you may find out that they just won't work together properly. The best option is to return the kit you...
This is the reason you should always buy the whole memory kit at once. Even with the brand, size, speed, and CAS being the same, Corsair could have made other subtle changes making it difficult or impossible for these sets to run together in dual-channel mode.

Try booting from a Memtest86 with just the new kit in slots 2 and 4 from the CPU. Go through one full pass (it will take a while). Then do the same with the old kit. Then put both kits together.
It's possible you'll be able to run both kits with increased voltage or at a slower speed but that may require hours of testing and tweaking to figure out the correct speed/voltage and you may find out that they just won't work together properly. The best option is to return the kit you got and buy a kit with 4 sticks.

Reactions: jay32267
Solution
Apr 23, 2021

It's possible you'll be able to run both kits with increased voltage or at a slower speed but that may require hours of testing and tweaking to figure out the correct speed/voltage and you may find out that they just won't work together properly. The best option is to return the kit you got and buy a kit with 4 sticks.
Thanks for the quick reply! I built this PC although I do not think I am experienced enough to mess with voltage/speeds of ram. I think I may end up purchasing a kit with 4 sticks. I will update the thread as needed.

Endre

Reputable
I recently installed 2 more sticks of ram into my pc. After which, the display signals completely cut out. The pc is still running (sound, webcam, fans, etc.) The PC can boot to bios. In bios, all 4 ram sticks are recognized. These 2 separate kits are the same brand, size, speed, and CAS latency. PC worked completely fine running 3 monitors before I added the second kit of ram. I have even called Corsair to figure something out. Would really like some fast responses as the computer in question is my main one for college use. Thanks for you time.

My PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Pro Mobo
GTX 970
NZXT 750w PSU
4x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX vengeance 3600mHz

Things I have already tried:

1. set the XMP profile.

2. Cleared CMOS

3. Switched kits around (kit 1 to 1 and 3, kit 2 to 2 and 4)

Please, load the BIOS optimal defaults.
Save.
Restart PC.

Apr 23, 2021
I have an update:

I recently bought a new mobo, B550 gaming plus. Still the same issue, bought new ram, as previously stated, still didn't work. The new ram is a 4 stick kit. ill try bumping the voltages for the ram. I don't know what to do next.

Apr 23, 2021
Set my voltages from 1.4 to 1.35, and my speed from 1066 to 3200. seems to be working so far. For whatever reason, my mobo was setting the voltages really low by default, and the speeds.

Update: was working for probably 15 minutes, then it happened again. Tried bringing the voltages up to 1.4, happened almost instantly. Is there any way it could be a graphics card issue?