Question Installed new cpu and now stuck in blue screen boot loop.

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018
Today I upgraded my cpu from an i3-8100 to an i5-8600. My mobo is an MSI Z370-A Pro and the compatibility list shows the i5 should work fine. I updated the bios to the latest update before installing the cpu. Booting into bios is fine and it seems to have recognized the new cpu. Cpu temps seem normal and the cpu cooler runs fine. Every time I try to boot windows though, it shows the msi booting logo then flashes a blue screen. It doesnt show a crash message or anything before restsrting. It started saying "Starting Automatic Repair" but it doesn't seemed to have fixed anything. I'm trying to figure out whether my cpu came faulty or if there is a bios setting I need to change.

Update: Aftering clearing CMOS, I got an intial blue screen error code "ACPI.sys". Trying to boot into a usb to test whether the cpu is faulty.

Further Update:
Ran into blue screen while booting into windows iso on a flash drive. Swapped back to the i3 and everything runs fine. I'm going to assume the i5 cpu is faulty. Before I deem this thread as solved I have already ordered another i5-8600 and will be installing it shortly. If my pc works fine, that will be the nail in the coffin that the og i5 was defective.

Solution: The cpu was defective.

Specs:
cpu: i5-8600 w/(stock i3-8100 cooler)
mb: MSI Z370-A Pro
Bios ver: E7B48IMS.2D3 (11/18/2021)
ram: Corsair Vengence 3200 2x8gb
gpu: Asus Rtx 2060
psu: evga supernova 550w GA 80+ Gold certified fully modular atx
Windows 11

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I updated the bios to the latest update before installing the cpu
For the sake of relevance, can you please state the BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? As for the BIOS, did you clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? If not, disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins and then see if you can boot to OS GUI.

psu: Evga 550W
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU?

You could also remove the discrete GPU and then try powering off the iGPU to see if the issue persists.

Reactions: kylehamlet850

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018
I updated the bios to the latest update before installing the cpu
For the sake of relevance, can you please state the BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? As for the BIOS, did you clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? If not, disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins and then see if you can boot to OS GUI.

psu: Evga 550W
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU?

You could also remove the discrete GPU and then try powering off the iGPU to see if the issue persists.

Bios ver: E7B48IMS.2D3 (11/18/2021)
psu: evga supernova 550w GA 80+ Gold certified fully modular atx

I did not clear the cmos I will do that right now and see if that works.

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
I was afraid to say this but consider power as an option. Even though it's kinda over the wattage usage as I saw on PowerMeterings I have at my bench; Your gonna need a little more power than 550w per say 650ish. I know it might sound wrong of me but gotta assume the least first before the worst ; my father always said......................