Question installed new cpu and pc not posting, but i’ve tried literally everything

Fayzd

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
hey friends, i replaced my 3900x with a 5800x in my b550 aorus elite ax v2, and it’s not giving me any video output or posting.

i’ve done everything i can think of, flashed bios to newest version before installing, reseated ram already, checked all the cables, cleared cmos too.

but when i put in the new cpu, it was just black on my monitor, so i turned off the power supply and turned it on again, which actually booted just fine. as i used it for a few minutes, the screen went black, and i’m back to the same problem of no video output

when i turn it on the fans do turn on, the system stays on, just that there’s no video output? i’m actually stumped please help
is my mobo just cooked?

also: oddly enough, i often force shut down by holding the power button but it’s not working, so i’m not sure if that adds anything

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How long did you leave the system on whilst black screen?

Try remove ram and clear cmos via the method described in manual instead of pulling out the cmos battery.

Afterwards, install ram and power on. Leave the system go for several minutes even if there is no display, allowing motherboard to reconfigure new cpu and train ram. Hopefully that's all it is.

Fayzd

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
Hey, sorry I should have realised and done so!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x (new one), switched from Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: gigabyte b550 aorus elite ax v2 (updated to bios version 19b)
Ram: Corsair Dominator platinums 32gb (2x16) 3200mhz C16
SSD/HDD: it's been AGES since i've seen my ssd/hdd so i don't remember
GPU: Gigabyte 2070super
PSU: Corsair SF600 (bought in 2021)
Chassis: Lian Li O11

Fayzd

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
How long did you leave the system on whilst black screen?

Try remove ram and clear cmos via the method described in manual instead of pulling out the cmos battery.

Afterwards, install ram and power on. Leave the system go for several minutes even if there is no display, allowing motherboard to reconfigure new cpu and train ram. Hopefully that's all it is.
I left it running for maybe 10 minutes or so.
I followed the manual procedure for clearing CMOS rather than just pulling out the cmos battery, which the manual described as shorting the two pins for a couple of seconds. I'll try resetting CMOS again without RAM this time.