Installed new GPU, now my computer won't boot?

cybervegeto22

Honorable
May 19, 2016
-- UPDATE --
After realizing those numbers on the mobo weren't temperature, but error codes, I looked up the codes online and discovered a way to fix the issue.

I just had to take out all my RAM, and plug 1 stick it into the first slot. Then I booted and everything worked fine, and I was able to shut down and reinstall the other stick as well.

So far so good, running on the new 1060.

Hey all,

I have been running an EVGA GTX 960 since 2016. Aside from an initial defective MSI mobo, my system runs smoothly.
Just today, I bought an EVGA GTX 1060. I unplugged my PC, took out the 960, and put in the 1060. I plugged my PC back in and turned it on, but while the case fans and lights came on, the keyboard/mouse didn't, and I had no video signal from the new card. I switched my HDMI cable over to the onboard HDMI, and still no signal.

After a couple of resets, my computer booted. I went to device manager to update my drivers, and after roughly 10 minutes of downloading, it said "Installing drivers." Maybe 2 minutes later, it gave me a BSOD with the stop code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It was "gathering information" pretty quickly, but froze at 55%.
vo0m6b.jpg

I had to manually restart multiple times. Eventually I swapped the power cable from the PSU to the 1060, and it finally booted like normal. I attempted to update drivers again, but it told me they were already installed.

I continued using the PC for a while, ran Superposition to bench the new GPU (scored 2421 if that matters), surfed around the web, and after a few hours, turned it off.

Not long after that, I turned it back on. It didn't work. My keyboard and mouse didn't light up, although the case did. The monitor was on a black screen in standby mode. So, I shut the system down and killed the power, pulled the 1060, and put my old 960 in. It booted to the MSI loading screen, and froze.
j956xg.jpg

I've tried resetting probably 20 times, and haven't even made it that far again - just a black screen. So at this point, I gutted the GPU, pulled all power to the mobo, and removed the battery for about 10 minutes to reset CMOS. Didn't work either.

I now have no GPU in my system, attempting onboard graphics for HDMI output, but still have a black screen and mouse/keyboard won't turn on.

I was reading around for possible reasons for this. One of them was that I didn't uninstall the drivers before pulling the 960 initially, but that was refuted by other users who said they had no problems doing that (I've also done that before with no issues).
Another possible reason is a bad mobo, which wouldn't surprise me in the least, judging by my experience with MSI.
One reason I've thought of is the terrible placement of the heatsink on this board; the graphics card basically rests on top of it, which I assume could have caused a short or something.

Before today, the computer ran perfectly fine. I'm hoping it's something fixable, something that isn't going to require brand new major components.

Can someone help me out?

TL;DR:

Tried to install a new 1060 today. Gutted my 960, put the 1060 in, and my PC wouldn't boot. After a couple restarts, it did boot, and I tried to install the drivers through device manager. They downloaded and started installing, but I got a BSOD that froze half way through error info collection. After swapping a power cable to the card, my PC booted, and I left it on and used it for a few hours.
I turned my system off, and when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't boot.
I pulled the 1060 and put the old 960 back in, and it still wouldn't boot.
I then pulled the 960 and tried using onboard graphics, and it still wouldn't boot.
I unplugged mobo and took out battery for 10 minutes to reset CMOS, and it still wouldn't boot.

My setup:
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
i7-6700k
PNY Anarchy 8GB DDR4 x2
Corsair RM850
Windows 10 Pro
1 TB HDD, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD

*Update* Problem still persists but here's more info:

I noticed that the red LED light on the mobo under the PCIe slots was slowly blinking. The debug display reads 00 19 4C 55, then the red light flashes, and the display resets to 00 and works its way up again.
I took a video of this happening.

https://youtu.be/IOMrg25Osfk

You know the 960 works and yet when you put it back in, the computer doesn't work. The onboard graphics don't work. This makes me think the problem is the motherboard. Not only that, but you've already had a problem with a motherboard like this. I don't know if it's that heatsink but I think something got messed up on the motherboard in the process of switching cards.

Is your BIOS current? I know that when I swapped out from my 660Ti to my 1080, it wouldn't boot properly either. While it may have run for you for a while and seeing the jump between models isn't as large for you as it was for me, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if there's a BIOS update for your gear.

I, too, have an MSI board though it's an older 990FX based chipset for my 8350. All of my gear has been MSI and I've never once had an issue. I sincerely doubt it's the board itself that's causing the issue.

cybervegeto22

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting contrast in those suggestions..
I think it might be this motherboard. My original mobo had an issue where it would boot up, turn itself off, then boot up again and be stable. The time it took to reboot would vary, and would sometimes the reboot wouldn't happen! So I RMA'd it, and I thought they sent me a refurbished one in its place, but this might be a shoddily repaired board...

Anyway, today, I tried something new. I had left the power off and battery out all night, but it didn't work, so I replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one. Still didn't work.

I noticed that the red LED light on the mobo under the PCIe slots was slowly blinking. Definitely some sort of failure. The debug display reads 00 19 4C 55, then the red light flashes, and the display resets to 00 and works its way up again.
I took a video of that happening.

https://youtu.be/IOMrg25Osfk

cybervegeto22

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Sorry for late update --
after realizing those numbers on the mobo weren't temperature, but error codes, I looked up the codes online and discovered a way to fix the issue. (Those codes have something to do with a memory problem.)

I just had to take out all my RAM, and plug 1 stick it into the first slot. Then I booted and everything worked fine, and I was able to shut down and reinstall the other stick as well.

So far so good, been running on the new 1060 for a couple days with no more issues.