[SOLVED] Installed new motherboard and cpu, now I cannot access my ssd drive.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 22, 2022
Just yesterday I installed a new motherboard and cpu. I have 2 samsung 860 evo 2tb connected together to make 4tb, as well as an m2.ssd with my operating system. Since installing the new motherboard and cpu I have not been able to access the evo D: drive, when I launch computer or when I attempt to look in drive it says

"You need to format the disc in drive D: before you can use it"

followed by

"The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

The hardrive's did not have any operating system on them, as far as I can remember, as I have never used them for os, just file storage. I would really rather prefer not to reformat them if I can - I have already tried in desperation and quick format always gives a "cannot complete" error while long format after 18 hours and no progress I just canceled. I have a feeling I could just reconnect my old mobo and access them to format them, but that seems like a big headache.

I also tried chkdsk and apparently it is not available on a RAW drive - I just hope the drives are not damaged or not restorable.

I would certainly appreciate any help I am offered!

Last edited:
Solution
Delete Intel VDM RST controller from Device Manager. May require reboot after that.

Create a 2TB partition on Disk 0.
Delete and recreate D : partition on Disk 1. Might be necessary to clean Disk 1, if capacity doesn't reset to 2TB.

Can you also show a screenshot from Samsung Magician?
Oct 22, 2022
"Inoperable boot device" Or something like that. I looked into it and found a work around. I booted to safe mode, got in and then restart and now it seems I can boot with RST off.

Edit: Confirmed that intel RST is off and I am booted. Hardrives still can't be accessed.

Delete Intel VDM RST controller from Device Manager. May require reboot after that.

Create a 2TB partition on Disk 0.
Delete and recreate D : partition on Disk 1. Might be necessary to clean Disk 1, if capacity doesn't reset to 2TB.

Can you also show a screenshot from Samsung Magician?

Solution
Oct 22, 2022
Okay I have both as new volumes now, both 1863 gb NTFS. I can access them now. How is creating a partition different from formatting? 1 takes ages, and the other was as quick as that?

Okay I have both as new volumes now, both 1863 gb NTFS. I can access them now. How is creating a partition different from formatting? 1 takes ages, and the other was as quick as that?
Partition creation includes formatting.
In one of those dialog screens there was a check box "Perform quick format".
Quick format is almost instant - it just creates necessary file system structures.
Normal format takes very long time - it additionally scans entire drive and tries to locate any bad sectors..

Oct 22, 2022
Oh okay, is it normal I don't have the full 2tb on each? And is there now a way to connect them again to make 4tb as one drive?

I am confused at how simple that was compared to using windows to format and having it not complete for some reason.

Oh okay, is it normal I don't have the full 2tb on each? And is there now a way to connect them again to make 4tb as one drive?
You have entire capacity available.
2TB drive doesn't actually have 2TB on it. It has 2'000'000'000'000 bytes.
When you convert that to gigabytes, you get 1863 GB.
2'000'000'000'000/1024/1024/1024 = 1863
And is there now a way to connect them again to make 4tb as one drive?
It is possible, but I strongly advise against that.
You had it before. Migration of drives to a new system caused you to loose all data.
Also with such RAID 0 setup, if one of drives fails, all data is lost (on both drives).

Oct 22, 2022
If Windows is showing them as 1.81TB each, that is what it is supposed to be.
They are! So, I guess issue is mostly fixed now! Now, I know you said the pros might not outweighs the cons in having them merged, but it's just so convenient.

It is possible, but I strongly advise against that.

What is so bad about it? Aside running into the same issues I just did ahah.

USAFRet

Titan
What is so bad about it? Aside running into the same issues I just did ahah.
Aside from a single drive letter, there is no real reason to do so.

And as you've seen, this introduces a lot of weirdness, complexity, and fail potential.

Windows and applications have gotten really good at using multiple drive letters.

A C, D, and E drive are little different than a C and D drive.

Oct 22, 2022
Okay, well thanks for the help guys! Is there any way I can give you guys props for the help? Or is there some kind of system in place that does that on solution?

TRENDING THREADS