Question Installed new motherboard and cpu, what next?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 6, 2022
Hello,
I just upgraded some pieces in my build. I am somewhat of a pc builder noob (I've upgraded graphics, ram, processor with same port etc so not totally slow).
I got a new case, motherboard and processor.

I upgraded from an Asus Tuf b365m to Asus prime z590p and processor from i5 9400f to i9 11400kf. (My computer was a pre-built and I've slowly added new gpu/ram/ssds I just outgrew the case and wanted more speed).

I did not download or update anything before I did the build (i feel like i made a mistake with that...).
Now the question, when I turn the pc on what do I do next? I turned it on and it took me to the boot/bios menu but to make sure my pc runs properly what are the steps to get my operating system back up and making sure I have the proper programs removed/installed for my new hardware to run properly?

Anybody who can give me somewhat detailed instructions would be much appreciated, or direct me to a video guide or something... (please talk to me like a laymen I do not know all the technical words).

I just don't want to mess anything up and if I need to plug my hard drive into a different pc and get files onto it I always have that option or if just a memory card works or whatever. I'm just a little confused trying to look stuff up with Google. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: