Installed new motherboard and getting error

Oct 17, 2018
So I just installed a new motherboard inside my pc after the old one shorted when i pushed a fan connector by accident into the motherboard while it was running. Nothing would turn on at all, so that's why i bought the new motherboard.

I installed the new motherboard today and everything seems to be powering on. It boots up normally until right before it goes to the login screen, it starts getting ABNORMALLY laggy and slow, and then all of a sudden I get a BSOD saying "Machine check exception" and then the PC just shuts down completely.

Sometimes, the PC makes it into the desktop after logging in, but it gets extremely laggy and CPU temperatures are hitting 100 degrees. (CPU is i7 4790k btw)

The CPU starts off functioning normally until it starts gaining heat, when it slows down.

I put my hand to the AIO CPU Cooler (Corsair H80i GT) and I did not feel any vibrations or anything, but the light on the pump part that goes over the CPU stays on. I also felt the radiator, which felt relatively cool.

My question: Could the short on the motherboard have caused the pump in the cooler to break and not be able to transfer out heat? Or could it be a CPU problem?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

it's likey your pump isn't working for some reason check connections again. that or check to see that it is mounted properly to the CPU. Did you use thermal paste? it's evident that your CPU is thermal throttling and causing the performance problems that you are experiencing and that needs to be addressed ASAP. likely not a problem with anything else from what you describe so far

Oct 17, 2018

I'm very sure I mounted the cooler on properly, i've mounted it the same exact way before and plugged in all the connections. When I touch it, I don't feel any vibrating or humming or anything. Could my CPU have gone bad as well though?

If the cpu had died on you you'd know. From what you're describing its the pump of the AIO not functioning. It could be dead or just a connection not hooked up properly. Make sure the pump is connected at the cpu_opt header or the dedicated pump header if your mobo has one.