Question Installed SSD in iMac. How do I get a Mac OS on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I went ahead and installed Windows so I could start using it until I figure it out. I just assume to download a Mac dmg to a thumb drive and plug it into the iMac on startup. That is how I got Windows on there in the first place. What is the correct protocol to do what I'm trying to do?

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Not much you can do then. You cannot just download Mac OSX. You might be able to contact Apple and see if they can get you an ISO, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I got an ISO and drew it to a thumb drive. That made it to the dark bar filling up the light bar under the logo but then it failed with the stop symbol. I could take the SSD back out and put the ISO onto it if that would help. But I don't see why it would make a difference which media the ISO is delivered with.

CloudyFaygo

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019
I went ahead and installed Windows so I could start using it until I figure it out. I just assume to download a Mac dmg to a thumb drive and plug it into the iMac on startup. That is how I got Windows on there in the first place. What is the correct protocol to do what I'm trying to do?

I have a suggestion for you. I did this on an early 2015 Macbook Pro not long ago. I upgraded the mechanical drive to a SSD that was of course "Out-Of-The-Box" wiped with nothing on it. After installing it, I booted up the machine into Recovery Mode (Hold ⌘ + R) upon boot.

NOTE: Someone might argue that you cannot do this on a blank drive. INCORRECT, if the Apple Recovery Mode is not stored on the drive locally itself will download the needed software. You will either have to ethernet the device or add it to a wireless network when prompted.

I would recommend partitioning the drive to APFS or Mac OS Journalized if you are dealing with Mojave - Catalina.

Once in Recovery Mode you can use "Disk Utility" to partition the drive, and then install the latest version of the OS that was locked into that device. When you do this, the bright side is that the program relies on the most up-dated firmware and drivers.. meaning it should all get pushed to the new SSD seeing as it is empty.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2015
Boot the Mac to internet recovery. to do this, hold down command+option+r when booting up the Mac. from there you can reinstall macOS on the ssd.

I'll go on and add to the informational portion of this post.
Be sure to connect to the Internet first. Then, go for the Internet Recovery option - unless you have a spare Mac or MacOS USB lying around.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
Its really simple! Shut down your Mac and turn it on. Immediately after you press the power button, press and hold Command+R until you see a window named "mac OS Utilities". There will be an option to reinstall Mac OS straight from the device itself. Although it is recommended to get a flash drive and back up all of your data just in case. I've done this many times before without a backup and it saved everything as it is clearly quoting to only "reinstall" mac OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.