Question Installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, but still not able to play or listen to anything, mp3s, mp4s, WAVs, YouTube, etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2021
Running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 "Jauty". (Impossible to upgrade, please do not mention)

This device has never let me play or listen to any format, mp4, mp3, WAVs, OGGs, YouTube, etc

Recently tried installing ubuntu-restricted-extras to resolve this, but it has not worked. Uninstalled and reinstalled the OS plenty of times before and it has never fixed it.

Clueless as to what could be the issue. Would just like to listen to some tunes. Have asked this on several forums and nobody has helped ): Thanks

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'm thinking that back then, Ubuntu didn't come with proprietary codecs, I seem to remember that being a controversy when they added them in. Or maybe I'm confused with Mint. Anyway, try:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Feb 4, 2021
Hi there,

Sorry but it seems you have missed the topic of the thread. I have already installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, but it has not resolved the issue of not being able to play anything. Plus, I also cannot play free formats like WAV or OGG so it is not an issue I am getting just with proprietary codecs.

Thanks

Hi there,

Sorry but it seems you have missed the topic of the thread. I have already installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, but it has not resolved the issue of not being able to play anything. Plus, I also cannot play free formats like WAV or OGG so it is not an issue I am getting just with proprietary codecs.

Thanks
You're going to have to upgrade to get what you want. There's no way around it. You're running a now 7+ year old release that will never receive another update.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Hi there,

Thanks

Oh man, that is embarrassing. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.