Question Installing 1050 Ti in Dell Optiplex 390 [Issues]

Jun 30, 2023
Hi, so first, I have this old Dell Optiplex 390 (0m5dcd mobo), and it has an i5 2400, 8 GB of ram, and a HDD in it.
Umm, so I decided to install a GPU on it, and I bought this used Asus Phoenix 1050 Ti.
BTW, I have a monitor (Dell E2011H) that has only VGA or DVI connectors.
Before I installed this GPU, I was using the VGA on my motherboard.
and then after I changed to DVI-D Single Link to GPU, right?
I have only two options since my monitor doesn't support HDMI or DisplayPort.
[1. Use an adaptor from HDMI to VGA.] or [2. Buy a DVI-D Cable] (I USED OPTION2)
So after I did everything and connected the cables, there is no signal at all when I boot the PC, and the screen is black.
I didn't stop there, so I actually connected back the VGA to my motherboard, but I kept the GPU in the PCI slot,
and I booted the system, of course, but when I checked the Device Manager, the 1050 Ti was not there, which means the system didn't read it. Even the Fan of the GPU is working!
I don't know what to do; I'm so confused by these two problems.
Please, anything would help.

Jun 30, 2023
Also is PSU the problem? It's old, I mean he could be starting to fail and not sending enough power to the PCIE.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
a few possible things.

how exactly did you install the gpu? The way to install is..

1. go to the official Nvidia website and download a gpu driver for your 1050ti. Place the installer on desktop where it can easily be seen, but do not install it yet
2. turn off pc. Place GPU into pcie slot. Plug monitor into the gpu.
3. Turn on pc. when you turn on the pc, graphics will be at low res - then you install the gpu drivers from the nvidia website. Did you do these steps?

the 1050ti you purchased could also be dead. Have you seen it working before you got it? Tried testing on another pc?

I doubt it's your psu. Using a 1050ti myself (backup pc on sig), and it worked even when I only had the stock psu. Although now, I have upgraded to a proper psu.
_________

edit:

also there's a chance you purchased a 1050ti that is not compatible with older mobos. Was lucky to get one that works with my Optiplex 7010, but I heard certain 1050ti have problems with older systems.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023
a few possible things.

how exactly did you install the gpu? The way to install is..

1. go to the official Nvidia website and download a gpu driver for your 1050ti. Place the installer on desktop where it can easily be seen, but do not install it yet
2. turn off pc. Place GPU into pcie slot. Plug monitor into the gpu.
3. Turn on pc. when you turn on the pc, graphics will be at low res - then you install the gpu drivers from the nvidia website. Did you do these steps?

the 1050ti you purchased could also be dead. Have you seen it working before you got it? Tried testing on another pc?

I doubt it's your psu. Using a 1050ti myself (backup pc on sig), and it worked even when I only had the stock psu. Although now, I have upgraded to a proper psu.
_________

edit:

also there's a chance you purchased a 1050ti that is not compatible with older mobos. Was lucky to get one that works with my Optiplex 7010, but I heard certain 1050ti have problems with older systems.
i think i found the issue
my 1050 ti asus phoenix it seems to work only in UEFI
but when i change from Legacy to UEFI in BIOS Setting, i can't boot the system
i have an error "no bootable device found"
also found in the internet that you need to change HDD from MBR to GPT but i think dell locked this option

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I suggest get a refund on that 1050ti if it's still possible.
looks like you had the bad luck of getting a 1050ti that only works in UEFI

still better if you could test it in another pc to see if your gpu is actually working. Is there a pc repair shop near you? Try to bring it there, so the people there can test your gpu on their pc.

_______

did not need to edit the partition style of my disk, it's MBR not GPT.

my MSI 1050ti is still ok.

'

and the BIOS of my pc is Legacy, not UEFI. But the 1050ti works fine.
actually using the pc to post here right now. Have just finished some gaming.

Last edited: