[SOLVED] installing a gpu for the first time

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hi, today I purchased a GT1030 GDDR5..
all my GPU have been installed by people at the shop. First time to attempt it by myself.

took a pic of the new gpu. have not yet taken it out of the box.

this is an old pc that I use as backup storage. Not really for gaming. I have a separate gaming pc.
the only games on this pc are eternal fighter zero, and otomedius (because it only runs on Windows 7). And even the HD5450 runs them.
I just want to install the gt1030 here, so the pc would run better.

processor: Core Duo e8400
board: Samsung Desktop System
old video card: HD5450

these are the steps I plan to do...

1. Uninstall the Radeon AMD drivers following this method. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-uninstall
  2. turn off pc, remove the old gpu.
  3. attach new gpu
  4. turn on pc, install drivers.
are those the correct steps? thanks for any help on this.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
the "pull open the clip" near the pci slot. Can someone please tell me what this "clip" looks like. Don't want to accidentally break it.

edit: just realized the card does not come with an installation cd. Have to download drivers from nvidia.

Last edited:
In what way do you expect the gt1030 to run better?
Yes, fast action graphics will run better, but if your games run ok, why change.

You plan is reasonable.
I would first download and save the nvidia installation material before removing the old card.

Any graphics card will have a default low res mode that runs without any drivers.
Navigating to the web site to download is more difficult in low resolution.

1. Yes, uninstall the amd software first.
Some will suggest using DDU or other such software, but I would not.
You may inadvertently download malware or tracking apps.
3. correct.
GT1030 is a more modern card that is designed for a UEFI bios that you do not have. Your bios will be legacy. Some 1030 cards will connect to legacy mode, others may not.
If you have a problem recognizing the card, you will get no image.
Probably the last gen of cards that support legacy bios will be the 700 series such as the GTX750ti.
5. Assuming you get a display, use the saved driver install media to install the graphics drivers.
I would avoid any included cd's which may include unwanted software if you select the easy install all option.
6. Use the windows display settings to set your monitor dimensions.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
GT1030 is a more modern card that is designed for a UEFI bios that you do not have. Your bios will be legacy. Some 1030 cards will connect to legacy mode, others may not.
If you have a problem recognizing the card, you will get no image.
Probably the last gen of cards that support legacy bios will be the 700 series such as the GTX750ti.

that's a bit scary, well.. I hope the card get recognized.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
CPU-Z will tell you.
Graphics cards are secured in the slot two ways.
The part near the i/o panel is screwed down.
There will be a latch at the rear of the slot.
To unlatch the depicted latch, you push down on the tab.
Other latch mechanisms might need to be moved to the side.
I suppose that an older motherboard might not have a latch.
If the card resists removal, look for the latch. Do not force anything.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
basically, had a change of mind. Installed the 1030 to my Dell pc instead. The install went smoothly. But still cannot enjoy the video card... need to buy a new monitor first. My current monitor has no connector to the 1x DVI, 1x HDMI of the GT 1030.

going to save money for a 1080p monitor. :)

thanks to the people who gave advice to me in the thread.