[SOLVED] Installing a Liquid Cooler for a 3-year-old EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition 11GB ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bhalton99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Hello all, I'm noticing that while playing games my GPU fans will increase to 100% after an 1hr or so of gameplay and an hour later the games will freeze, and PC will restart. The graphic card in question is a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION GAMING Video Card, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED 11G-P4-2281-KR that's still sold brand new on Newegg for $1200: same price for some 4080s and 7900s. However. I do not want to spend that amount of money because it's not time for me to build a new build until 2025. So, I want to preserve this card by installing a liquid cooler on it and wondering if this is the best route and best model to fit. EVGA - EU - Products - EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC/XC2/FE, 400-HY-1384-B1, RGB - 400-HY-1384-B1. Also, what type of thermal tape and paste will be needed it this is a good option. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Shouldn't everything be overheating if that was the case? Minus the CPU since it's on a liquid cooler but my motherboard and RAM have temps around 36-44. Not saying that you are wrong just wondering that's all. To be honest my GPU didn't start acting up until I started using Topaz AI rendering software around late last November.

Idle temps don't really matter all that much. What are the temperatures at load? In any case, your configuration is far worse for your GPU than your CPU; the CPU cooler is at least "allied" with some of your exhaust fans.

Rendering really taxes a GPU, so it doesn't seem odd at all that the temperatures suddenly became more or a problem.

And yes, if those are nine exhaust fans on a case that needs...

bhalton99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Elden Rings and SW Jedi Fallen Order runs just fine on auto. EVGA only turns them up to 64% and temp stayed under 63 degrees, but GPU still turns on full blast when running PC Builder Simulator 2 for some reason. But it only does it in short bursts to cool off card then goes back to 60-70% but temps are at 75 degrees. Still no crashing, guess I can now wait a little longer before deciding on upgrading to a 7900.

bhalton99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Always a good thing when you have time to wait and enjoy your pc before needing upgrades. Might even be an 8900XT by that time.
HAHA, I would probably still go after the 7900xtx just to save even more money when price drops. I have to say my old 2080ti seems to perform better now, kind of like how cars seems to drive better after a good car wash.

Sample
https://pixeldrain.com/u/8xDqE7Sv Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order 2023.04.04 - 00.33.57.01.mp4

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Don’t make fun of old cars. I’ve got a 2013 Ford Focus with 175,000 miles. Needs to go in the shop for air conditioning before summer. Our 2016 Chevy Sonic has over 130,000 miles. Just with the current economy we’d rather not have payments right now.

What are you talking about? There was a joke about cars driving better after a car wash. What does that have to do with old cars?

Reactions: ohio_buckeye

bhalton99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Marked as Solved, thanks for everything guys. By mid-summer I will take another look at the prices for the 7900xtx and go from there. $999.99 is my max limit price for brand new GPUs so I will wait.

bhalton99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
You're right, I think it's not a local thing and they will ship it to wherever orders it. The one thing I should've checked beforehand was the power usage and it's recommended at 800W; wondering if my 850 is still good enough.