[SOLVED] Installing a new processor

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
I have an Intel Pentium G620 right now, I want to buy Intel Core i5 3570. My motherboard is a NCR Pocono, my question is: If I install the new processor will my computer still boot right? It's BIOS version 4.6.4, it uses the american megatrends bios.

Solution
NCR Pocono covers years of models. We'd need to know the exact model number. Even then there probably isn't much data on it.

As they seem to be cheap boards for OEMs. I'd be worried it can't handle the power draw of the 3570. I'd stick with "s" series CPU for lower draw. Such as the i5-3570s or i7-3770s.\

However, the G620 is Sandy Bridge and the 3570 is Ivy Bridge. It may not even have the right microcode. The i5-2500s or i7-2600s are safer bets.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If both cpu's use the same socket & pin count/layout, AND your BIOS is such that it will allow the the new cpu to function correctly, AND your mobo & VRM can handle the differences in power draw, load and cooling requirements, then yes it should work...

for example: I just upgraded an old HP office machine from an AMD A6 cpu to an A10 nottaproblemo, but I thoroughly researched the compatibilities first, and updated the bios to the last known version before removing the A6.... dropped in the A10 & it booted right up !

NCR Pocono covers years of models. We'd need to know the exact model number. Even then there probably isn't much data on it.

As they seem to be cheap boards for OEMs. I'd be worried it can't handle the power draw of the 3570. I'd stick with "s" series CPU for lower draw. Such as the i5-3570s or i7-3770s.\

However, the G620 is Sandy Bridge and the 3570 is Ivy Bridge. It may not even have the right microcode. The i5-2500s or i7-2600s are safer bets.

Solution

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
If both cpu's use the same socket & pin count/layout, AND your BIOS is such that it will allow the the new cpu to function correctly, AND your mobo & VRM can handle the differences in power draw, load and cooling requirements, then yes it should work...

for example: I just upgraded an old HP office machine from an AMD A6 cpu to an A10 nottaproblemo, but I thoroughly researched the compatibilities first, and updated the bios to the last known version before removing the A6.... dropped in the A10 & it booted right up !
They both use the LGA 1155, however I can't find my motherboards manufacturers website so I cannot confirm if it is supported or not, because it does not look like a widely used motherboard, the person who built the pc for me also says it is not compatible, but I have no way of ensuring it is.

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022

Thank you, I want to check the i7-2600, but I can't find any online and if I do it costs about $200 which is about 3.5K in my currency

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
i7-2600s not i7-2600. The "s" is important. Because they have a considerably lower TDP.
I just want a CPU that won't cause my other components to bottleneck, because I have a Nvidia GT 630 2GB, and I have 24GB of DDR3 800Mhz RAM. The CPU made it so I can't even run minecraft on 10 fps. Do you think upgrading the CPU will solve it.

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
I just want a CPU that won't cause my other components to bottleneck, because I have a Nvidia GT 630 2GB, and I have 24GB of DDR3 800Mhz RAM. The CPU made it so I can't even run minecraft on 10 fps. Do you think upgrading the CPU will solve it.
I just also want to know, what does the number behind the RAM type mean for example (DDR3 1067), and does it matter if the number is maybe to low for a CPU.

TRENDING THREADS