Question Installing a NVME SSD on Z490-E Gaming

Alon1234AS

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Hey guys. I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb on the bottom M.2 nvme slot of my Z490-E Gaming because I prefer my graphics card on the upper PCI-E slot (so the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible).
For some reason the new ssd does not appear anywhere on the Uefi bios (It's not recognized), nor can I install the nvme driver from Samsung's site. I try to run the driver but nothing happens.
Does anyone know how to install the nvme ssd on this motherboard??

Update:

I've moved the NVME SSD to the top slot behind the gpu, but it still doesn't appear anywhere. Can anyone explain what exactly I need to install to make it show in the bios (and where exactly in the bios?)

Samsung NVME driver doesn't run for some reason. Installed Intel optane memory but still nothing works.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
so the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible)
Em, why is it inaccessible? If you take the GPU out while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall, you should be able to pop the GPU out and then take the cover off and then install the SSD. Per your manual, page 1-12, you have two M.2 slots. You're advised to install your NVMe SSD's on the first M.2 port, which in your case is M.2_1

When you have a PCIe based SSD in slot M.2_2, you will loose functionality of SATA ports 5 and 6, so if you will, do you have any SATA devices on SATA ports 5 and 6? Regardless, that SSD needs to go in M.2_1.

On another point, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Alon1234AS

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
so the graphics card is making the upper nvme slot inaccessible)
Em, why is it inaccessible? If you take the GPU out while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall, you should be able to pop the GPU out and then take the cover off and then install the SSD. Per your manual, page 1-12, you have two M.2 slots. You're advised to install your NVMe SSD's on the first M.2 port, which in your case is M.2_1

When you have a PCIe based SSD in slot M.2_2, you will loose functionality of SATA ports 5 and 6, so if you will, do you have any SATA devices on SATA ports 5 and 6? Regardless, that SSD needs to go in M.2_1.

On another point, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
Update:

I've moved the NVME SSD to the top slot behind the gpu, but it still doesn't appear anywhere. Can anyone explain what exactly I need to install to make it show in the bios (and where exactly in the bios?)

Samsung NVME driver doesn't run for some reason. Installed Intel optane memory but still nothing works.
Using latest bios version.