Installing a SSD with an existing HardDrive in my PC.

Charlie_34

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I want to install an SSD onto my pc so i can put games and my OS on it. My Hard Drive already has around 1 terabyte of data on it, so how would i go about installing the OS on the new SSD? Do i simply just:
1. Unplug Harddrive
2. Connect SSD and install windows (from the disc)
3. Plug back in HardDrive
4. Transfer games and other files i want on to the SSD
How can i backup 1 tb of data, if i need to back it up aswell?
Thanks, hopefully i haven't worded this in an awkward way!

Solution

No, just find and save your personal docs.
Copy them off to another drive.

Other things you need with this whole process:
Drivers for your hardware. Primarily the LAN driver, just in case the new install does not install this properly
Document all your username/passwords
Know where to get any install files for your specific applications. Along with any serial numbers/licensing info.

Since you're doing this on a whole new drive...the old drive will still be OK, until you wipe it.
So don't wipe it until you are absolutely sure you don't need whatever is on it.

USAFRet

Titan

1. What size/make/model is this new SSD?
2. How much total data is consumed on your current drive?

USAFRet

Titan

OK then
You'll have to do a full reinstall, vs a clone operation.

This involves installing the OS, and everything else. Applications, drivers, etc.
You're starting from a clean slate.

Charlie_34

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
so im guessing i back up the hard drive with all the relevant things i want to keep.Install OS ont the ssd, wipe har drive ad insert it again, transfer backed up files to hard drive, ans move files like games to the ssd?

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, pretty much.
The applications (apart from Steam games) will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

Charlie_34

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
(as you can tell im pretty new to this) When backing up the hard drive, do i need to backup windows on it too? or do i delete it? (sorry if its a stupid question)

USAFRet

Titan

No, just find and save your personal docs.
Copy them off to another drive.

Other things you need with this whole process:
Drivers for your hardware. Primarily the LAN driver, just in case the new install does not install this properly
Document all your username/passwords
Know where to get any install files for your specific applications. Along with any serial numbers/licensing info.

Since you're doing this on a whole new drive...the old drive will still be OK, until you wipe it.
So don't wipe it until you are absolutely sure you don't need whatever is on it.

Solution