[SOLVED] Installing and Understanding PCIe & PCI Riser Cards & Flexible Extensions

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hi Gang

I've got a
Dell Precision 3620 i7 7700K and faced with a commom problem; (lack of space and slots) for needed devices. Before resorting to an External Hub, I'm researching Flexible Riser Cards/Extensions like this one. However, (unless I'm missing something), it seems these riser cards (inc. the flexible ones), 'might' be designed/intended for a larger machine (like a server), or a custom built? (Maybe not)? I'm basically looking to raise the graphics card about an inch or so in order to provide free air space for the cooling fan (so the PCI card right next to it won't impede air flow). Looking to do this without physically cutting any custom openings in the existing case. I was hoping one of these Flexible Risers would allow manipulating the graphics card to fit/expose the rear ports in the intended OEM graphics card slot?

I provided a variety of illustrations & links that will hopefully help.

Thank You Much
Mike

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Gang

I've got a
Dell Precision 3620 i7 7700K and faced with a commom problem; (lack of space and slots) for needed devices. Before resorting to an External Hub, I'm researching Flexible Riser Cards/Extensions like this one. However, (unless I'm missing something), it seems these riser cards (inc. the flexible ones), 'might' be designed/intended for a larger machine (like a server), or a custom built? I'm basically looking to raise the graphics card about an inch or so in order to provide free air space for the cooling fan without physically cutting any custom openings in the...
Hi Gang

I've got a
Dell Precision 3620 i7 7700K and faced with a commom problem; (lack of space and slots) for needed devices. Before resorting to an External Hub, I'm researching Flexible Riser Cards/Extensions like this one. However, (unless I'm missing something), it seems these riser cards (inc. the flexible ones), 'might' be designed/intended for a larger machine (like a server), or a custom built? I'm basically looking to raise the graphics card about an inch or so in order to provide free air space for the cooling fan without physically cutting any custom openings in the existing case. I was hoping one of these Flexible Risers would allow manipulating the graphics card to fit/expose the rear ports in the intended OEM graphics card slot?

I provided a variety of illustrations & links that will hopefully help.

Thank You Much
Mike
Those flex cables are usually meant for vertical mount of GPU. something like this
https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Ve...ords=gpu+vertical+mount&qid=1654764309&sr=8-4

Reactions: Coast Guard
Solution

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
You are correct sir - I was getting ready to DELETE this post after realizing there is no way I can twist and distort that flex cable because there still wouldn't be enough physical room to mount the video card in that OEM slot ... not gonna happen ....

Thank You!
Mike

Last edited: