Installing ASRock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
After getting everything on the MOBO taken care of, the moment of truth is at hand, and I want to make sure I don't fry this thing, I read the manual for my case installation an this board is supposed to be ATX.

However when I move it around it seems like the method of installation is slightly different, the board has 9 holes, but do I need standoffs for all those holes? Or only the ones with metal on them? Since there are metallic holes throughout the board and a few smaller ones, do I ignore these holes and unscrew the amount of standoffs inside the case to match the MOBO?

So in short, what am I going to be putting the motherboard on top of, and what am I going to be screwing in? I am prepared to unscrew some of the standoffs to attempt matching the MOBO's architecture.

Solution
Yes on the holes, and yes do the video card after the mobo is installed, often one of the mounting holes will lie under where the GP is installed

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

So just the bigger holes with the metal on it?

I counted 7 of those. 9 if you include the 2 smaller holes on the corners of the board.

Also, should I install the video card after its in the case or before?

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Alright. Got any tips to make my life easier putting this thing in? Knowing that it can fry at merely touching a part of my board gives me a very romantic feeling.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No big deal, I slip them in at a downward angle from front to back, slip the back in snug to the back panel, lower the front, put all the screws in nice and snug, then hook up the power to the mobo (24 pin and the 4/8 pin), install the GPU, add power cables to it if needed - then double check all and boot

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Darn thing is resisting, only a few of the panel devices are going into the IO shield, this is making my job harder. The keyboard and mouse ports are just hiding in the back, USB wont go in either.

There is a preinstalled fan right above the IO panel, should I temporarily remove it?

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

This is kind of tricky since I don't want the MOBO to touch the standoffs and fry everything... argh...But I have to put pressure on it to somehow get it in the IO shield.

ComplexArray

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I made some progress, the holes are more aligned with the MOBO and the IO sheild is looking a lot more natural, the holes arent completely in the center though, can I start screwing these in or do I have to fiddle with it some more? The holes are right under the MOBO but a little off center on the corner of the holes.