Installing Back up drive

NoobWare

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
I started getting a warning message about my hard drive going bad from windows. I purchased a new hard drive to store a system image on it. When I installed it, bios kept trying to boot from the new drive instead of the existing. I went in to bios and changed the setting to boot from the existing. I formatted the drive using disk management; at this point everything seemed to be going okay. Though when i try to create a system image with the windows backup tool, the window for searching for devices come ups and scans but never does anything else. When i try to close down the tool the computer freezes. On one occasion when it froze it scrambled the screen. This is my first time doing anything of this nature. I am a student and really don't have the means to take my computer to get serviced. Any help would be appreciated, if you need more info I will provide it. Thanks

Specs if needed:
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
-ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-Crucial CT25664AA800 (4 sticks)
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive-(Existing)
-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive-(New)

Solution
Hi,

Try installing DriveImage XML it has a free version which could help you image your drive. Hope that helps you image your system.

NoobWare

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I downloaded the software and proceeded to run it. I had made it about 20gb out of 500gb when it froze. So, I did make a little farther then with the windows tool.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
You may need to check your RAM sticks. I think one of those 4 Crucial CT25664AA800 that you have makes your PC freeze as you've mentioned you encountered a scrambled screen once. Just try to check it out removing one stick at a time and find out if it still freezes.