Question Installing drivers causes massive graphical disruption and unusable display

milesmonty

Reputable
Aug 7, 2018
When I install Windows, the default driver works fine and the screen displays perfectly, and I can use the computer normally. As soon as I install the drivers, the screen goes nuts and there's just a load of crazy jagged lines. Some more details:
  • I've tried game and studio drivers
  • I can still remote into the pc and it functions fine, so it's just a display issue
  • I've tried a clean install
  • I've tried a different psu
  • I've tried a clean windows installation
  • I've tried different cables and different hdmi ports

My setup is:
  • RTX 3090
  • i7 7700k
  • 16gb ram
  • I'm connected to my living room Sony bravia TV via hdmi
  • 1200w psu
  • Windows 10 Pro latest

Generic drivers installed by the OS make the GPU just functional, while proper drivers make the GPU run at advertised clocks and as intended to be running. If you have artifacts (jagged lines) that's a sign of a faulty GPU (usually vram related) or faulty drivers. Since you tried multiple drivers and it's after a clean windows installation, it sounds like a faulty card.

Try the GPU in another system if possible. If you still have issues, it's time for rma.

Reactions: jasonf2 and Tac 25

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
That CPU should have integrated graphics, I would recommend putting your HDMi or display port cable into the Motherboard directly. Then uninstall the generic graphics driver for that GPU from Device Manager. Then you should navigate to NVIDIA's website and grab the driver (GeForce Game Ready Driver | 516.40 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA ). Let me know if this works for you. Also, since you're connected to give another HDMI a try or if you have a display port cable and supporting monitor give that a test as well.

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hey guys, just to let you and anyone else who comes across this issue, it was a driver issue.

Any driver after the 497.29 Game Ready Driver causes this flickering!! I can't believe I had to go back that far, and annoying now that I'm basically unable to update my graphics drivers, but good to have a solution either way.

Are there any known ways to escalate this to NVidia? It seems the only option they provide is via their user forum, which is pretty rubbish.

Cheers for all the suggestions!

(I'm the poster btw - I finally got my normal account unblocked)

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I've had it from new, just in a different machine with different screens etc.

The problem resulted from a combination of newer drivers (from around Jan this year onwards), and using a big sony bravia tv instead of computer monitors.

I've had it from new, just in a different machine with different screens etc.

The problem resulted from a combination of newer drivers (from around Jan this year onwards), and using a big sony bravia tv instead of computer monitors.
There is NO way you need to go that far back to have a non artifacting GPU and not being problematic. You should be able to have a fully functional GPU with the most updated non-beta drivers. Since you have the latest GPU and a very expensive one, you should ask for an RMA. It's not acceptable to roll back that far for it being functional.

Jul 2, 2022
for some time i have a issue .my fps are very low about 20 to 30 i have uninsatall my invidia drivers then i play game my fps are very good after a shutdow or restart i got very low fps aroung 20 to 25 it vey annoying i have uninsatll my driver many time .plz help
my spec
i5 11gen nitro 5
8gb ram
256ssd
1tb hard
gtx 1650
driver;519.40

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hi everyone - this turned out to be a compatibility issue between the card and the TV. I sent the card off for RMA and they weren't able to reproduce the issue.

They suggested that with newer cards, more data is transferred in the handshaking between devices, which is why the TV worked fine with my 980ti and not with the 3090.

A new HDMI 2.1 cable sorted the problem.

TRENDING THREADS