[SOLVED] Installing GPU advice

GlenB

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
I have a Ryzen 3 3200G (internal Vega 8 GPU) I want to install a 5600XT card. If I go into BIOS and switch primary video from internal to PCI I am worried that if I have any issues and don't get a screen up after installation I wont be able to go back into BIOS and switch it back so I can see the screen. If I did have an issue and took out the 5600XT would the PC boot to BIOS ok? I guess i'm just a bit edgy about it I have not done this in a few years. Thanks.

Solution
You don't have to do anything in the bios. It all depends which video output your monitor is plugged into. If its plugged into the HDMI/Displayport out on your motherboard, you are running on your internal GPU. If it's plugged into the back of your 5600 XT, you're running off of that. If your video card has a problem, you'll simply plug your display cable back into the motherboard.
You don't have to do anything in the bios. It all depends which video output your monitor is plugged into. If its plugged into the HDMI/Displayport out on your motherboard, you are running on your internal GPU. If it's plugged into the back of your 5600 XT, you're running off of that. If your video card has a problem, you'll simply plug your display cable back into the motherboard.

Solution
If I go into BIOS and switch primary video from internal to PCI I am worried that if I have any issues and don't get a screen up after installation I wont be able to go back into BIOS and switch it back so I can see the screen.
Switching Primary video doesn't disable integrated GPU.
Usually integrated GPU is disabled automatically, when you install discrete graphics card. Usually BIOS has a separate setting for enabling integrated GPU together with discrete card.