[SOLVED] Installing large hard drive in Dell optiplex 9020

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I have a dell 9020 mini tower and I want to install a fresh install of windows 10 pro onto it but I heard the limit is 2TB unless you want to change something in BIOS. My main question is what do I have to do in BIOS in order to ensure the system mentioned will accept my large HDD of 4TB or larger? I'm new to this and I want this to go well and not be a bad experience if at all possible. Please let me know and thank you :D
P.S. Someone told me before an Enterprise type HDD will not work on a desktop pc. Is that true? Which type of HDD should I be looking for?

Solution
I have a dell 9020 mini tower and I want to install a fresh install of windows 10 pro onto it but I heard the limit is 2TB unless you want to change something in BIOS. My main question is what do I have to do in BIOS in order to ensure the system mentioned will accept my large HDD of 4TB or larger?
To boot from drive larger than 2TB and use full capacity of it,
1. it has to be partitioned in GPT;​
2. OS must be installed in UEFI mode.​

If your PC doesn't support UEFI mode, then you can't boot from GPT partitioned drive.

Solution?
Install your large HDD as secondary drive. Then those limitations do not apply.
Windows is installed on smaller drive (MBR partitioned, no UEFI boot necessary)...
If you actually need that type of storage you should look into some of the Dell workstations. Most of then are mid tower size, but a few MT size exist. ECC RAM, Raid in BIOS, and SAS enterprise drives all exist there. I would read the service manual to be sure they have the features you need.
Dell T1700 is one of them.

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
If you actually need that type of storage you should look into some of the Dell workstations. Most of then are mid tower size, but a few MT size exist. ECC RAM, Raid in BIOS, and SAS enterprise drives all exist there. I would read the service manual to be sure they have the features you need.
Dell T1700 is one of them.
I already bought the dell 9020 MT so I am looking about how to make what I have already work for me.

I have a dell 9020 mini tower and I want to install a fresh install of windows 10 pro onto it but I heard the limit is 2TB unless you want to change something in BIOS. My main question is what do I have to do in BIOS in order to ensure the system mentioned will accept my large HDD of 4TB or larger?

If your PC doesn't support UEFI mode, then you can't boot from GPT partitioned drive.

Solution?
Windows is installed on smaller drive (MBR partitioned, no UEFI boot necessary). Larger drive is partitioned in GPT and you can use full capacity of it.

Solution

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019

Solution?
Windows is installed on smaller drive (MBR partitioned, no UEFI boot necessary). Larger drive is partitioned in GPT and you can use full capacity of it.
If I use a second HDD drive, do I also need to purchase another SATA cable or something? Please let me know.

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Each sata 2.5"drive requires separate sata data cable.
If you have only single cable, then you can connect only single drive.
Obviously you'll need 2 cables to connect 2 drives.
My dell power supply has 2 connectors for for 2 separate hdd, so I won't need an additional SATA cable right? I am new to this so I am honestly asking. Also if I have to buy a SATA cable will any type of cable work?

This is sata data cable. Each drive requires one of those.

1392561_large.jpg

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
This is sata data cable. Each drive requires one of those.

1392561_large.jpg
Okay and my PSU should provide the extra power connector needed right? I think it looks like the dell PSU come swith 2 SATA power connectors? Do you think I am right?
P.S. As for the data cable. What is the specific name? Should I type in sata 3.5 inch data cable or what?

COMPUTERGUYMAC

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Yes, that's sata power cable (in the photo).

For sata data cable - you can measure length of current cable that goes to HDD. Looks like it's 30cm long.
Get similar cable for your second drive.

Looks like drive mounting requires some kind of pastic rail. Do you have extra plastic rail for second drive?

6191wp1YZDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Genuine-Optiplex-Computer-1B31D2600-600-G/dp/B00RPS5AVE
I was gonna try to purchase these 2 things https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...VJN/292315722559?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PX600...NED/293604898396?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 Do you think they would probably work?