Installing Linux On A PC Using Virtual Machine (No Dual Booting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stjohn Russell

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I personally hate dual booting for the simple reason of having to reboot every time you want to switch operating systems.

In this tutorial I will teach you how to install Linux using a Virtual Machine ( Allowing you to work with two operating systems at once with out the need to reboot just to switch operating systems.)

First things first you will need a Linux .iso file or disk image (I will be using Linux Mint 64 Bit) and you will also need Oracle Virtual-box.

You also need to make sure Virtualization is enable in your BIOS
If you are having problems with hardware Virtualization look here

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1715638/enable-hardware-virtualization-bios.html

Virtual-Box - www.virtualbox.org
Linux Mint - www.linuxmint.com/

Once Downloaded put the Linux disk image in a easy to find location e.g. Desktop

1.Install Virtual-Box

2.Click new in the top left hand corner.

3.Give A name to your new virtual machine
4.Under Type Select Linux
5.And then Select the version of Linux you want to install

6.Click Next

7.Select any amount of RAM Above 256 MB (This is the amount of RAM your virtual machine will use)

8.Click Next

9.Now create a new virtual hard drive

10.Make sure the top one is selected (VirtualBox Disk Image)

11.Click Next

12.Make Sure 'Dynamically Allocated' is selected

13.Click Next

14.Allocate 8GB of hard drive space to the virtual machine (yes this doesnt sound like alot but when you have a Dynamically Allocated virtual hard drive the size of the drive will adjust as it fills up making sure there is space.)

15. Click create

16.Make sure your new virtual machine is selected then click settings

17.Click on System Tab and then click on processor and assign any amount of CPUs to your virtual machine (I gave it 3 CPUs of my 6 CPUs)

18. Now click on Display on the Left Hand panel and assign some video memory (Remember this is another whole OS so don't be stingy)

19.Click on storage on the left hand panel and click on the Add Button

20.Now click Add CD/DVD Device

21.Click Choose Disk

22.Now Browse to where you stored your Linux Disk image and select the disk image.

23.Close the settings Window

24.Click Start and Follow on screen instructions and you will now be able to run Windows and Linux Side by Side (If it doesn't boot straight into Linux You may have to change the boot order).

Status
Not open for further replies.