Question MX500 current health 84% current driver M3CR023, need action?

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So I have MX500 500GB for several years and it is my youngest drive (rest is not SSD but much older) and decided to check health and driver after reading some post and I have no clue if I need to take action or not? it is very difficult to transfer files and re-download everything, so want to avoid that if not needed. I playing Russian roulette with my life as I have no backup for any drive. I'll post about other drives later.

Do you find anything weird in this info?
What does 84% mean?
What can I do make it live longer without affecting speed?

Drive is on default settings AFAIK and never made changes though Storage Executive, seems encrypted which surprised me.

iqMQYWF.jpeg

f2h00G0.jpeg

Solution
The basic warranty on that drive is 180TB.
So far, you've written 30TB, approx 16%.
Which comes out to "84%"

You'll not reach that 180TB until after the end of the next decade.
And current consumer level drives have been shown to last far beyond that warranty number.

That is NOT something to worry about, or "fix".

But, as mentioned, a drive can die at any moment.
Your Russian Roulette will eventually come to pass with one of your storage devices.

One of them WILL die. Probably very unexpectedly.
Prepare for that.

kanewolf

Titan
So I have MX500 500GB for several years and it is my youngest drive (rest is not SSD but much older) and decided to check health and driver after reading some post and I have no clue if I need to take action or not? it is very difficult to transfer files and re-download everything, so want to avoid that if not needed. I playing Russian roulette with my life as I have no backup for any drive. I'll post about other drives later.

What does 84% mean?

Drive is on default settings AFAIK and never made changes though Storage Executive, seems encrypted which surprised me.

iqMQYWF.jpeg

f2h00G0.jpeg
You have a 5 year 180TB written warranty. You have written about 30TB.
A disk can fail at any time. I wouldn't worry about the TB written. You should worry about it failing randomly. That can happen tomorrow. Have an automated backup routine.
It is unlikely you will exhaust the TB written before you want a new disk anyway.

Reactions: Dasa

USAFRet

Titan
Which comes out to "84%"

And current consumer level drives have been shown to last far beyond that warranty number.

Your Russian Roulette will eventually come to pass with one of your storage devices.

Prepare for that.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

What does 84% mean?

iqMQYWF.jpeg

f2h00G0.jpeg
I see no problems with the drive, you had it for a few years and it has dropped form 100 to 84%.

For no backup that is your problem your making by choice. That drive can say 100% and still fail at any time.

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
You have a 5 year 180TB written warranty. You have written about 30TB.
A disk can fail at any time. I wouldn't worry about the TB written. You should worry about it failing randomly. That can happen tomorrow. Have an automated backup routine.
It is unlikely you will exhaust the TB written before you want a new disk anyway.

I didn't know about warranty and not sure would work where I live but good to know, yeah I need to do backup but always felt it is a consuming process and never got the hardware.

So what about firmware ver. ? no need for upgrade? latest is 46, 23 is not known for being bad? or don't fix what is not broken?

Which comes out to "84%"

Prepare for that.
Wow, I never knew that what's % mean, I thought it was dying and cancer ate 16% of it (bad sectors or something) lol.

So when people say my drive is 5 years old and 99% so they never touched their drive? is that possible?

I see no problems with the drive, you had it for a few years and it has dropped form 100 to 84%.

For no backup that is your problem your making by choice. That drive can say 100% and still fail at any time.
What would a sign from numbers in pic 2 that would lead you to say something wrong is going on? something I might keep an eye on?

USAFRet

Titan
Wow, I never knew that what's % mean, I thought it was dying and cancer ate 16% of it (bad sectors or something) lol.

So when people say my drive is 5 years old and 99% so they never touched their drive? is that possible?
Not 'never touched', but rather lightly used (written to).

If your drive were 3 years old, starting in 2021....currently 30TB written.
10TB per year. Pretty average usage.

Maintaining that current usage means not getting to the 180TB until the year 2039.
And that is just the warranty number, not when it will actually "die".

But, you do need backups.
Seriously.

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Maintaining that current usage means not getting to the 180TB until the year 2039.
And that is just the warranty number, not when it will actually "die".

But, you do need backups.
Seriously.
So if I want to buy a used SSD, I should ignore health status? like you said it has nothing to do when it will die? and a bit of use means it survived well? wrong logic?

Can you point me to the bible article/post of how to backup drives? anything stand out that could help a noob?

USAFRet

Titan
So if I want to buy a used SSD, I should ignore health status? like you said it has nothing to do when it will die? and a bit of use means it survived well? wrong logic?

Can you point me to the bible article/post of how to backup drives? anything stand out that could help a noob?
Given current prices, I wouldn't buy a used drive unless it were down to the $5-$10 level.

Backups?
The typical concept is 3-2-1.
3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite, or otherwise inacessible.

This is my basic procedure, somewhat modified since I wrote it several years ago.

But that can be reduced.
1 copy on your system, 1 copy on an external drive, 1 copy in 'the cloud'.

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Given current prices, I wouldn't buy a used drive unless it were down to the $5-$10 level.

Backups?
The typical concept is 3-2-1.
3 copies, on at least 2 different devices, at least 1 offsite, or otherwise inacessible.

This is my basic procedure, somewhat modified since I wrote it several years ago.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-your-backup-situation-at-home.299720

But that can be reduced.
1 copy on your system, 1 copy on an external drive, 1 copy in 'the cloud'.

something is wrong with the link but managed to find the post, thank you for all the help!

USAFRet

Titan
something is wrong with the link but managed to find the post, thank you for all the help!
Thanks!
Poor copy/paste on my part.