[SOLVED] Installing M.2 2280 pro (XPG) in Aorus z390 Ultra Mobo

Dec 24, 2019
Rookie builder here, slowly assembling his first system, so don't be too hard on me please.

I have 2 2tb m.2 sticks I want to install in my Aorus z390 ultra mobo, but there are 3 slots available;

m2m
m2a
m2p

Which two slots should I use for my sticks? I'm not sure there is any benefit or detriment.
Thank you sage readers for your assistance!

Dec 24, 2019
From the spec shee:
https://www.aorus.com/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#pd_spec
  • 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
  • 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A)
  • 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)

Sorry for my ignorance, but that seems to indicate I should use the M2M and M2A slots, correct?

USAFRet

Titan
Any of he 3 would work.
I would use the M2A and M2M.

Also, when you install the OS, have only ONE drive connected. Connect the other one later.

Dec 24, 2019
Any of he 3 would work.
I would use the M2A and M2M.

Also, when you install the OS, have only ONE drive connected. Connect the other one later.

I take it that that is to avoid complications prior to installing the operating system?

Dec 24, 2019
I very much appreciate the help.

I'm going to install the one stick first and complete the build and installation of windows 10, then add the other stick after everything is up and running.

Any other tips with respect to that? I assume that at that point the system will detect the new drive and I'm off to the races. I'm a noob remember!.

Dec 24, 2019
I very much appreciate the help.

I'm going to install the one stick first and complete the build and installation of windows 10, then add the other stick after everything is up and running.

Any other tips with respect to that? I assume that at that point the system will detect the new drive and I'm off to the races. I'm a noob remember!.

I'm also installing a Hard drive, but that shouldn't be an issue installing at the same time as the m.2 should it?

Dec 24, 2019
Thanks for the advice!
I'me going to be using TWO me.2 2 tb sticks, so I suppose I could install both and just let the install pick either one for the operating system, then install the HDD later. Do you see any issues with that?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the advice!
I'me going to be using TWO me.2 2 tb sticks, so I suppose I could install both and just let the install pick either one for the operating system, then install the HDD later. Do you see any issues with that?
Have only ONE and only ONE drive connected when you do the install.
HDD, SSD, M.2...doesn't matter.
ONE drive only.

Reason - Windows has a dumb habit of putting the boot partition on the 'other drive'.
Yes, even if you select Drive #1 for the install, it puts the boot partition on Drive #2.
Nothing you select causes this, nor can you influence it to be otherwise.

Makes troubleshooting/reconfig later a pain.

Having only a single drive connected prevents this.